Sign in to follow this  
Azaykon

Education in game programming

Azaykon    122
Hello! I am a 27 year old guy who have always been interested in computer games. The last 1-2 years I have been making some simple games (a Testris clone and a Breakout clone). I have applied for a Bachelor Degree in Games and Mediaprogramming which starts this autumn and I am wondering if I am a bit too old for this. I have a feeling most of the people in this business are quite young, that is why I am asking:-) It lasts for 3 years so when I am finished I will be 30. What do you folks think? Another question: People who work in the game industry, have most of them education in gameprogramming/general programming?

xEricx    572
I think these game degrees are pretty new... I don't know anyone here that has one... they all went through normal CS degrees.

As for wondering if you're too old... never let your age impose you barriers. If you wanna make games, just go ahead, as long as you have fun doing it, go ahead. Be warned though that there are often crunch times and these crunch times aren't always good on the family (at 30+, you might have kids, etc..)

Anyway, my advice would be go ahead, if that's what you wanna do :) Anyway, I think the average age here at Ubi is around 29 or something... =)

Cheers

Eric

ApochPiQ    23064
Age certainly isn't a barrier. It comes with challenges of its own (family, old thinking habits, and so on) but they can be conquered. A lot of people in the industry (and people who want to be in the industry) are indeed young, but being older and wiser gives you a lot of advantages.

I don't have any hard numbers, but I'd guess that a large percentage of people in the games industry (particularly programmers in the industry) have education in programming. As xEricx said, game programming degrees are fairly new. They seem to be catching on, but they're not old and mature enough yet to really know how they affect the industry.

Programming degrees are not a mandatory requirement, though. It might just be the particular people I've worked with, but it seems to me like just as many programmers have degrees in things like maths, physics, writing, etc. rather than programming.

matches81    474
I agree that age shouldn´t be that much of a problem... I am currently 23 and still studying... by the time I finished studying I might be 26 or 27, dunno yet. And I surely hope that´s not too old for game programming... otherwise I´m screwed :)
But guys like Molyneux and other gaming gods surely proof that you can still make games when you´re above 30.

Azaykon    122
Thanks a lot for the answers :-)
I feel pretty sure now that if I come in, I will go for it, despite my age. Also, if I don't get a job in the game industry afterwards, I think I will have a fairly good chance of getting other programming jobs (and where age perhaps doesn't matter that much:-)). The study was really a 3 year study in computer science but has know changed a bit focus to game programming to increase the students creativity. It is the two last years which is focusing on games, the first year has general programming, math and so on.

Thanks again