Screensaver Template

Started by
7 comments, last by Moe 18 years, 9 months ago
Does anyone know of any good blank template projects or wizards for a DirectX screensaver? I have the Moire sample from the 8.1 SDK, which I'm sure I could pull from for a project of my own. I just thought I'd ask before I started on that as a blank project would save some time. Thanks for any info.
Advertisement
You can go ahead and try this... it comes from Windows 98 Programming from the Ground up...
(I am pretty much just typing it out of the book, so I haven't tried it...)
//Code for a minimal screensaver//#include <windows.h>#include <scrnsave.h>char str[80] = "Windows 98 Screensaver";int delay = 200;LRESULT WINAPI ScreenSaverProc(HWND hwnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){	static HDC hdc;	static unsigned int timer;	static RECT srcdim;	static SIZE size;	static int X = 0, Y = 0;	static HBRUSH hBlkBrush;	static TEXTMETRIC tm;	switch(message)	{	case WM_CREATE:		timer = SetTimer(hwnd, 1, delay, NULL);		hBlkBrush = (HBRUSH) GetStockObject(BLACK_BRUSH);		break;	case WM_ERASEBKGND:		hdc = GetDC(hwnd);		//get coordinates of the screen		GetClientRect(hwnd, &scrdim);		//erase the screen		SelectObject(hdc, hBlkBrush);		PatBlt(hdc, 0, 0, scrdim.right, scrdim.bottom, PATCOPY);		//get and save height and length of string		GetTextMetrics(hdc, &tm);		GetTextExtentPoint32(hdc, str, strlen(str), &size);		ReleaseDC(hwnd, hdc);		break;			case WM_TIMER:		hdc = GetDC(hwnd);		//erase previous output		SelectObject(hdc, hBlkBrush);		PatBlt(hdc, X, Y, X + size.cx, Y + size.cy, PATCOPY);		//move the string to a new location		X += 10; Y += 10;		if(X > scrdim.right) X = 0		if(Y > scrdim.bottom) Y = 0		//output string		SetBkColor(hdc, RGB(0,0,0));		SetTextColor(hdc, RGB(0,255,255));		TextOut(hdc, X, Y, str, strlen(str));		ReleaseDC(hwnd, hdc);		break;	case WM_DESTROY:		KillTimer(hwnd, timer);		break;	default:		return DefScreenSaverProc(hwnd, message, wParam, lParam);	}	return 0;}//placeholder dialog box functionBOOL WINAPI ScreenSaverCofigureDialog(HWND, hdwnd, UNIT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){	return 0;}//no class to registerBOOL WINAPI RegisterDialogClasses(HANDLE hInst){	return 1;}//it requires the following resource file:/*#include <windows.h>#include <scnsave.h>ID_APP ICON SCRICON.ICOSTRINGTABLE{	IDS_DESCRIPTION "My Screen Saver #1"}*/ 

Like I said, I haven't tried compiling it, so I have no idea if it works...
A screensaver is a normal windows application that's invoked with some specific command-line parameters. I can't remember them off the top of my head, but things like "yourscreensaver /p window-handle" when the user is previewing it, and you're supposed to render into the window with the given handle. You get the idea.

A google for "screensaver tutorial" would give you some good results. As soon as you know the command-line parameters needed, just add code to handle them in your own application-framework and you've got a screensaver.

Well, I gave it a shot, but its giving me some link errors.

saver.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _DefScreenSaverProc@16 referenced in function _ScreenSaverProc@16

I think I'll just work backwards from the Moire project.
Quote:Original post by Wampus

I think I'll just work backwards from the Moire project.

Can you possibly post the code from the Moire project?

Yes, Moe's screensaver works, after a few corrections:

#include <windows.h>#include <scrnsave.h>char str[80] = "Windows Screensaver";int delay = 200;#pragma comment ( lib, "scrnsave.lib" )#pragma comment ( lib, "comctl32.lib" )LRESULT WINAPI ScreenSaverProc(HWND hwnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){	static HDC hdc;	static unsigned int timer;	static RECT scrdim;	static SIZE size;	static int X = 0, Y = 0;	static HBRUSH hBlkBrush;	static TEXTMETRIC tm;	switch(message)	{	case WM_CREATE:		timer = (UINT) SetTimer(hwnd, 1, delay, NULL);		hBlkBrush = (HBRUSH) GetStockObject(BLACK_BRUSH);		break;	case WM_ERASEBKGND:		hdc = GetDC(hwnd);		//get coordinates of the screen		GetClientRect(hwnd, &scrdim);		//erase the screen		SelectObject(hdc, hBlkBrush);		PatBlt(hdc, 0, 0, scrdim.right, scrdim.bottom, PATCOPY);		//get and save height and length of string		GetTextMetrics(hdc, &tm);		GetTextExtentPoint32(hdc, str, (int) strlen(str), &size);		ReleaseDC(hwnd, hdc);		break;			case WM_TIMER:		hdc = GetDC(hwnd);		//erase previous output		SelectObject(hdc, hBlkBrush);		PatBlt(hdc, X, Y, X + size.cx, Y + size.cy, PATCOPY);		//move the string to a new location		X += 10; Y += 10;		if(X > scrdim.right) X = 0;		if(Y > scrdim.bottom) Y = 0;		//output string		SetBkColor(hdc, RGB(0,0,0));		SetTextColor(hdc, RGB(0,255,255));		TextOut(hdc, X, Y, str, (int) strlen(str));		ReleaseDC(hwnd, hdc);		break;	case WM_DESTROY:		KillTimer(hwnd, timer);		break;	default:		return DefScreenSaverProc(hwnd, message, wParam, lParam);	}	return 0;}//placeholder dialog box functionBOOL WINAPI ScreenSaverConfigureDialog(HWND hwnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){	return 0;}//no class to registerBOOL WINAPI RegisterDialogClasses(HANDLE hInst){	return 1;}

... and resource.rc ...

#include <windows.h>#include <scrnsave.h>ID_APP ICON SCRICON.ICOSTRINGTABLE{	IDS_DESCRIPTION "My Screen Saver #1"}

... and don't forget to put scricon.ico into the project's directory.
Hmm. How to use Direct3D along with screensavers?
The program fails if I try to create Direct3D device. I mean the device creates ok, but the program quits.
Quote:Original post by ReaVeR-Andrey
Hmm. How to use Direct3D along with screensavers?
The program fails if I try to create Direct3D device. I mean the device creates ok, but the program quits.

Interesting. Do you mean it quits when set as a screensaver?

Quote:Original post by ReaVeR-Andrey
Yes, Moe's screensaver works, after a few corrections:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***
... and resource.rc ...
*** Source Snippet Removed ***
... and don't forget to put scricon.ico into the project's directory.

Excellent! I think I might have to try playing around with it some time... (when I have time).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement