2D Platformer: Engine Choices and Tool Sets! Need Suggestions

Started by
6 comments, last by jeroenb 18 years, 9 months ago
I am looking for 2d engines and tools to help aid in a 2d platformer game. This game would be in the Core to Hard-Core gamer class. I need... Hardware Acceleration Alpha Transperancy / Blending Not sure if a tile based game would make a good run, because i want the levels to be hand drawn and very detialed, as well as high-res, 1024x768 min resolution, could i just draw my worlds, then run a program to cut them into tile maps? I have been working on an openGL 2d engine for a while now, but if i dont need to reinvent the wheel, i wil stop developement on this engine and focus on the meat, the GAME! looking for LGPL or free engines... But a decent priced comercial engine wouldnt be too bad... is Torque2D worth the money to jump start developement? thanks
Advertisement
As far as cutting an image into a tileset, this would be extremely easy to do in code or in any reasonably powerful graphic editing software automatically.

Depending on how much of your 2D engine you have complete I'd probably say go with it. From what I've seen of Torque2D I can say I'm not impressed, especially for a commercial product. Depending on your experience it would probably be better to just write your own helper classes or grab pieces of existing engines. (For example: my own now-defunct ZEngine has a reasonable amount of useful code within it and is licensed under a free license.)

PS. If you're really in the mood for adventure and working with someone a little PM me and I can let you in on a less stable but more functional 2D library that has some really cool features.
If C# is your thing I've got a free, open source 2D graphics library - http://www.flecko.net/trans2d. It's got the things you want, although it's not too mature yet, the version that's up there now has some flaws I've noticed and am working on now. It ought to be suitable for a platformer, though.
--------------Trans2D - 2D library for C# / Managed DirectX
The FlatRedBall engine might be something you'd be interested in. Check my sig.

The Torque 2D engine is of course a stable library ready for use. But it will cost you money while there are several other free engines available.

I, for example, am currently writting a 2D side scroller engine based on OpenGL, using high level shaders to do for example bump mapping etc. There is also an editor which I haven't released yet, but if you want it, please leave me a post at my forums (you might as well be the very first poster on it.. :)).

clicky

Crafter 2D: the open source 2D game framework

?Github: https://github.com/crafter2d/crafter2d
Twitter: [twitter]crafter_2d[/twitter]

Check out ClanLib. I'm currently using it for my entry into 4e4 and it works like a charm.
Well, C++ is my flavor, but thanks for the C# links guys.

My 2D Engine right now is just a set of classes to help do a few things...
So far all i have is an Image class that will load up TGA files and display them with alpha Blending and transperency, and the starts of a Sprite class with animation. i would like to add in animation states, and also possibly parse an XML file to get the info the TGA doesnt hold, and store animation states as well.

But my biggest concern is the game world or map itself.

i need a good tool for making my 2d world in, and then i need a way to read it into my code and display it.

I heard Mappy was a decent tile tool...
But is it betterto say store 2 1024x768 screens, and assign areas that are solid and can be walked upon, or would it be beter to chop up that map into a bunch of 16x16 tiles?

I may just break down and code my own toolset, and make it a part of the engine i am working on, but again i'm trying to speed up development.
The last thing i forgot to add in there about my engine choice, is i would like a cross platform (Mac OS X and XP) game engine and toolset.

So if torque2D isn't anygood, hows torque3D?
You don't want to use Torque 3D for a 2D platform game, you then might better start with the development of a complete 3D game :)

I made my own editor for the engine, which save the worlds in my custom format (which is actualy very simplistic) and read it in again in the game. I split up a world in 1 or more layers and a collision bound, which are saved to the same file. These can all be loaded by one function call.

Crafter 2D: the open source 2D game framework

?Github: https://github.com/crafter2d/crafter2d
Twitter: [twitter]crafter_2d[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement