Sign in to follow this  
mvtapia

Blender Python Grass

Hello everybody, I want to start using python script in blender because my last homework took me for ever to copy and paste grass all over the place. So my question is this: When modeling a terrain with grass, is the grass part of the terrain object, or is it a completely different mesh object parented to the terrain, or each peace of grass is an independent mesh object? My questions comes because I made some grass fibers as an independent object and then duplicated that object and after a couple of 100 duplications my computer became really slow. So I was thinking maybe there is a more performance efficient way to do this. by the way this is what the grass looked like, is not the real thing but at least it worked its purpouse Thanks everybody in advance...

One mesh per grass blade is going to be slow. The different blades of grass probably use the same texture, so you can probably have all the grass in a single mesh. This way the material will only be applied once, and all the grass will be rendered.

How you would do this with Blender's Python API, I don't know.