Sign in to follow this  
Acus

Where do I Start?

Acus    122
Hey every one! What advice whould you give to someone who is just starting out in the industry? I'm going to DePaul next year because they have a very good Game Development program, and I've read a few books on my own about the history and the fabric of the industry. I also got a few of my friends to help me make a small game based on my high school mascot using game maker. Is there anything else I can do over the summer to get ahead of my future classmates?

Benjamin Heath    925
Just have fun, I guess. Are you interested in a technical or artistic area of game development?

As for getting an edge: Finish this game you're making with your friends. That will give you enough of an edge no matter which way you go. Still, if you haven't started programming yet, start with something like Python (python.org). Learn how Game Maker works and perhaps try to make something a little like it (if you want). If you know how a game runs at the program level, and you have fun with this game of yours, that should give you enough of a boost.

I wish you the best. It's not a field I chose to go further into, but if it's what you like, go for it. [smile]