mp3 decoder

Started by
21 comments, last by caesar4 18 years, 9 months ago
Why don't you just write an mp3 decoder plugin for your game (i.e. a dll that is not *required* for the game to run) and make it freely downloadeble for anyone that wants it (not packaged with the game)? The plugin would not be generating revenue so you won't have to pay for a license.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by WillC
1) DirectSound doesn't support mp3 playback does it? Only PCM data?

2) You can use something like the Microsoft Window Media Format SDK (or some other decoder library) to decode the mp3 into DirectSound compatible PCM format, but you would still have to pay the license to Thomspson just the same, for any commercial application that uses that technique.

I misspoke somewhat. The key is to use the MP3 filter in DirectShow for the decompression; DirectSound, as you said, only handles the playback of the PCM data. The DirectShow filter is licensed by Microsoft, and is the only software component which actually uses MP3 technology.
ive looked into libMAD and so far i like it, and will probably stick with it
thx
Cartman's definition of sexual harrasement:"When you are trying to have intercourse with a lady friend, and some other guy comes up and tickles your balls from behind"(watch South Park, it rocks)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement