mp3 decoder

Started by
21 comments, last by caesar4 18 years, 9 months ago
i need a completely free mp3 decoder library (already looked at fmod and bass) it is preferable that it be open source, but not necessary as long as its completely free and an api documentation is provided
Cartman's definition of sexual harrasement:"When you are trying to have intercourse with a lady friend, and some other guy comes up and tickles your balls from behind"(watch South Park, it rocks)
Advertisement
mpglib, part of the mpg123 project is released under the LPGL license (all you have to do is link dynamically to it).

Next is SMPEG, which is also released under the LPGL license. Don't know about the documentation, but you can look into that.
sorry, i meant to also include that it should be for Win32, and i would like to be a standalone library, like oggvorbis
and smpeg is kinda dependent on sdl
Cartman's definition of sexual harrasement:"When you are trying to have intercourse with a lady friend, and some other guy comes up and tickles your balls from behind"(watch South Park, it rocks)
Take a look at this page. From there:
Quote:
MP3PlayLib : - Layer 1/2/3 - C - 166 k

An MPEG audio decoding library written in C. In includes Layer 1/2/3 decoders, with a good separation between them.

Doesn't look like it comes with docs, but hey, looks like it's hard to find something that has everything nowadays [wink]. It comes with sample code, but its commented in another language, I can't tell which one either, so you will have to improvise some. Anyways, best of luck! That page is the largest I've seen for Mp3 libs, so hopefully you should be able to find one there. [smile]
Have you considered OpenAL?
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
Quote:Original post by Yohumbus
Have you considered OpenAL?

OpenAL does not support MP3 technology without the use of an external decoder [wink]
There is MAD, but it is full GPL, so you may not want it if your app is commercial.
Quote:Original post by caesar4
i need a completely free mp3 decoder library (already looked at fmod and bass)

To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as a completely free mp3 decoder library because of patent issues. If you distribute a program with one you may get a letter from the lawyers representing Thomson Consumer Electronics. Then again, i'm not a lawyer, and the issue is probably more complex than how i'm describing it.

Have you considered using Ogg Vorbis? I'm not sure about all the licensing for all of the libraries, but The "Tremor" decoder library is available under a BSD-like free software license (basically you can largely do whatever you want with it).

You can download the development libraries here.

[Edited by - Will F on June 30, 2005 12:29:27 AM]
im already using ogg vorbis
its just that i also want mp3 support
Examine the mp3 file structure.
Stick to regular bitrate mp3's not VariableBitRate(VBR) Mp3's.

Regular mp3's usually have a header at the beginning containing the bitrate of each frame in the mp3. Then you start buffering and playing frames.

I myself have only gotten as far as parsing the header of a regular mp3. I have not gotten as far as playing the data. VBR Mp3's often have headers at the beginning of each frame which can complicate things a bit.

If anyone wish's to provide an article on how to play the sound data, I'll write a library for it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement