• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Halsafar

Texture Splatting Problem -- (1 color textures) - Screenshot

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

http://www.gamedev.net/columns/hardcore/splatting/ That article. I used the demo, and implimented the pixel shader and all the exact render states. I am using the exact same alphamap and textures all the in the same stages. Everything is as indentical as I can get it, and here is what mine looks like... Each texture seems to only come out as one color. I have no clue why. Edit: He is using DrawPrimitiveUP, I am using DrawIndexedPrimitive... Thats about the only difference.

Advertisement
perhaps something wrong with the pixel shader, or the UV-coordinates of your vertices? If the alpha-map spans the whole plane, but you want your textures tiled, you should have 2 seperate UV-coordinate-sets. Or you could just multiply the alpha-map UV to get a tiling of the textures itself.

[pure guess]
it isn't just as simple as being too far away? as the "zones" seem very rounded and nice I would guess he is far away thus the same texture gets mipmapped to a very low lever and the same color is just repeated over and over again? (if he is using (0,0)-(1,1) UV for each square)

just a pure guess from nowhere though.

Actually that view was every triangle in a 513x513 heightmap with the Y values forced to 0.
The problem was indeed the PS was looking for a 2nd set of texture coords for the alpha map.
By including D3DFVF_TEX2 and adding a 2nd pair of tu, tv I fixed it.

Now I have a problem with alphamap resolution.

A one buffer terrain, the alphamap to texel ratio is about 1pixel/100texels.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!