[.net] Conversion UINT' to 'FLOAT

You should be able to do regular typecasting:

// method 1
unsigned int value = 25;
float myNumber = (float)value;

// method 2
unsigned int value = 25;
float myNumber = static_cast<float>(value);

I mean if you are going from UINT to FLOAT, you are just adding on a .0000000 because an UINT is a whole number. That's what the typecasting does for you.

Quote:
Original post by Del Snd of Thndr
You might want to check out:
System.Convert.ToSingle()

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't like the renaming convention that takes place in .Net [headshake]. Couldn't find any references to float.

I am simply getting some info from directx about a image, taking its height then the direct3d surface and calculating the x and y values for a direct3d vector, that way I can set scale for my images. I had issues with scaling and thought of fixing it this way.

&m_Scale.x = static_cast<float>(imageInfo.Width / desc.Width);
&m_Scale.y = static_cast<float>(imageInfo.Height / desc.Height);

I know about the pointer and such, but when I did it I got the error. Thats the problem it has to be a pointer and make refrences else all my objects will be the same shape. Removing the pointer makes it work but only one sprite shows.

Ahh that sounds like a DirectX problem as for why not both sprites are showing. As for the code:

m_Scale.x = static_cast<float>(imageInfo.Width / desc.Width);
m_Scale.y = static_cast<float>(imageInfo.Height / desc.Height);

Should be what you need if imageInfo, desc, and m_Scale are not pointers. What are the variable declarations of all those variables that you use? Can you list m_Scale, m_Scale.x, m_Scale.y, imageInfo, imageInfo.Width, desc, desc.Width, imageInfo.Height, and desc.Height.

As mentioned above:

Ones a surface, anothers a vector and anothers a imageinfo for dx.

D3DXIMAGE_INFO imageInfo;
D3DSURFACE_DESC desc;
D3DXVECTOR2 m_vScale;

The problems with others not showing is related. When I nop out that code it seems to work fine just deformed. Without it being a pointer I believe it is causing the problems.

Dancin_Fool I was getting errors when doing that. Odly...

By the way, there is a bug in the JIT that make conversion from uint to either float or double slow as hell. Instead you have to convert first to int to speed iy up.

uint i = 256;
double t;
t = (double)i; // very slow
t = (double)(int)i; // faster

Quote:
Original post by Lenolian
By the way, there is a bug in the JIT that make conversion from uint to either float or double slow as hell. Instead you have to convert first to int to speed iy up.

uint i = 256;
double t;
t = (double)i; // very slow
t = (double)(int)i; // faster

Won't you lose data if you're working with values large enough, though? I mean, someone probably decided to start with a uint for a reason...

At any rate, if Dave is using managed C++, he can use the functions that Drew_Benton and I suggested (will the bug rear it's head when using those functions?). If he's not using managed C++, he won't have to worry about bugs in the JIT.