Proposal on Project Thread Standard

Started by
12 comments, last by DakeDesu 18 years, 9 months ago
Okay, if the mods like this, could they sticky it? If it stickifies I'll modify the first post appropiate to that. Well, I kind of attempted to start something on here, that I've seen from the Bob and George's Forums (you need to sign up to see anything). What it is would be collecting everything into a single thread. This mostly done in the Fancomics, spritting, and a few other forums. Mostly due to people posting new threads for groups of things thhat can be put into one thread. In the spriting forums on Bob and George, you are only allowed one thread. That is to contain _all_ your spriteworks. Same for the comics forums. This mostly to keep things managable for the mods. Now that is a little extreme in this forum. I suggest that each project gets a option to one thread, and anything to do with that project is posted _there_. If you wish to post stuff about your own project, do not do it in somebody else's project thread. If you want to advertise your project, start your own thread. Other threads would be allowed, just one appropiate to this forum, that don't necessarily fit into a project thread. On Bob and George, their counter part would be the comics forum, where all your comics (if you do comics) must be included in one thread. I would suggest that each project you plan to submit gets its own thread. The post traffic in the contest forum is not as much on Bob and George--so you could have more threads going at once. With the thread name, I suggest a format of title :== <"[4E4]"> . <project name> . ["project thread"] (BNF--if you can read that, you can probably explain it to those who cannot). So summary: * Project informantion goes in appropiate thread (for example: not somebody else's project information thread). * Mutliple threads for multiple projects. * Other threads are allowed, as long as they are appropiate (I am still hazy on appropiate--need input on that). * Label that project thread. This is only a proposal, as I am not a mod, but trying to applease the mods towards a setup. I am open for suggestions.
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]
Advertisement
The:
[Subject] Description

format seems to be catching on a little around here - but I think the worry is if you have too many rules about posting then people just will not bother.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
What are the problems with the current system?
Nothing--we are pretty much doing it for the most part already. However, one project thread has been derailled, due to lack of specifying what we are doing.

However I do not follow how this is "too many rules"? It is much more lax than what Bob and George does--and everybody there does it, and it works remarkably.

Perhaps I will simplify:
1) You have a thread for your project rather than posting a new thread about each update (already being done). Though, if you have more than one project, you will not have to keep the same thread.
2) Do not post off topic stuff in somebody else's project thread that has the potencial to derail it.

It is already being done more or less, just there is a few instances where it doesn't get done. I figured typing out what is already being done, more or less, in an official manner, would stop this from happening.
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]
Dake just wants a sticky thread, methinks.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Quote:Original post by PnP Bios
Dake just wants a sticky thread, methinks.

LOL, yeah, writting this I thought some people might see it this way. I just want to put in a decent effort into the contest overall (like with my thousands of ideas for contest entries).
Personally, I'm for it. I like things to be structured. I don't think it should be enforced in any way though, just sort of suggested practice. We don't want to become robots. Or zombies...
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Bleh, you can see I took an effort to un-derail the thread (though all hope is pretty much lost for it)

I would take the complete opposite orgasational (I can't speel tadoy) stance from yours - instead of grouping projects together in an individual thread, group each component of every project in a thread. ie, a "screenshot" thread, a "sprite" thread.

While I can see the merits of both systems, I would suggest a hybrid of the two:

For topics which pertain commonly to all entries, like "general idea" or "sceenshots" there should be a universal thread (there already are threads for those two). For project-specific stuff, and all the other stuff, I guess, you could have individual project threads.

My reasoning behind this is for browsing ease - if you wanted to see what everyone else is doing so that you can steal their ideas so that you can guage your own progress, it's a lot easier to be able to browse through a thread filled exclusively with the content you're looking for.

Then again, the same can be said for project threads - that if you're looking for information on a specific project, then you'd have your own thread. Most of us have been recording everything in our GDNET+ journals anyway, and probably would refrain from making threads.

But yeah, just one guy's opinion on things.
I'm all for it, but I don't really need it because I'm posting my progress on my website instead of here.
If you want a thread for your individual project, use your developer's journal. And then if you really wanted to show off, you could post a link to your journal in the forum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement