• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Knarkles

Platform SDK

This topic is 6589 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a problem. I want to get the newest version of Platform SDK, since my current one that came with Visual C++ 6.0 only has beta libraries for Win98 features and no documentation for Win2000. 1) I can''t download it because it''s several hundred MBs and I only have a 56.6k modem. 2) MSDN Subscription costs a LOT. 3) I couldn''t find anywhere how to order the Platform SDK separately on a CD. Help? -Jussi

Advertisement
When you download the setup program for the sdk, you can choose to download and install only the header files and libraries, which amount to only a few meg. As for documentation, the latest sdk doesn''t provide a whole lot more than what cames with VC++ 6, but it''s much easier to use the msdn website for info on newer features.

Large downloads will always look daunting. But get a download resumer, and you can get it over time. I''m on a 33.6k modem, and I have downloaded 143MB files off MSDN.

quote:
Original post by Beer Hunter

Large downloads will always look daunting. But get a download resumer, and you can get it over time. I''m on a 33.6k modem, and I have downloaded 143MB files off MSDN.

Yes, I use Go!Zilla, and I just downloaded a 180MB game, but the Platform SDK has its own install program which probably can''t resume download.

I solved the problem myself, though. I found the Platform SDK CD image on the MS FTP, where I can hopefully resume downloads.

-Jussi

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!