• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TheSeb

problem of lighting computation with .3ds files

This topic is 4796 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have a problem with my models : they aren't lighted completly. Actually, the model which i test is lighted correctly excepted on several parts. I have checked some normals which i compute and there are right. I describe what my program does : -i make the computations for the weight normals -i compute the normals -i multiply the vertices by the transformation matrix -i multiply the normals computed by the 3x3 part of the transformation matrix -i swap z by -y for the normals and the vertices when i multiply the vertices by the transformation matrix my model appears at a place which is not the place where it is supposed to appear. i put the code of the multiplication by the transformation matrix :
void loader3ds::multiplyMatrixVertices(float *tMatrix, float *vertices, unsigned short *nbVertices)
{
	float normalsTemp[MAX_VERTICES*3] ;

for(i=0 ; i < *nbVertices ; i++)//la 4ème coordonnée d'un point est 1
	{
		for(j=0 ; j<4 ; j++)
		{
			normalsTemp[i*3+j] = tMatrix[j*3+0] * vertices[i*3+0] +
					     tMatrix[j*3+1] * vertices[i*3+1] +
					     tMatrix[j*3+2] * vertices[i*3+2] +
					     tMatrix[j*3+3] * 1;
		}
	}

for(i=0 ; i < *nbVertices*3 ; i++)
	{
		vertices = normalsTemp ;	
	}
}

void loader3ds::multiplyMatrixNormals(float *tMatrix, float *normals, unsigned short *nbVertices)
{

float normalsTemp[MAX_VERTICES*3] ;
	for(i=0 ; i < *nbVertices ; i++)
	{
		for(j=0 ; j<3 ; j++)
		{
			normalsTemp[i*3+j] = tMatrix[j*3+0] * normals[i*3+0] +
					     tMatrix[j*3+1] * normals[i*3+1] +
					     tMatrix[j*3+2] * normals[i*3+2] ;
		}
	}

for(i=0 ; i < *nbVertices*3 ; i++)
	{
		normals = normalsTemp ;	
	}
}

the part which compute the per vertex normals :
//nIndice is the number of the normal from 0 to nbVertices
for(nIndice=0 ; nIndice < myObjects[counterObj].nbVertices ; nIndice++)
	{
		for(i=0 ; i < myObjects[counterObj].nbPoly ; i++)//polygon per polygon
		{
			for(j=0 ; j< 3; j++)//the three vertices of each polygon
			{
				if(myObjects[counterObj].myIndices[j]==nIndice)
				{
					myObjects[counterObj].perVertexNormals[nIndice][0] += myObjects[counterObj].perFaceNormals.x*angle[j] ;
					myObjects[counterObj].perVertexNormals[nIndice][1] += myObjects[counterObj].perFaceNormals.y*angle[j] ;
					myObjects[counterObj].perVertexNormals[nIndice][2] += myObjects[counterObj].perFaceNormals.z*angle[j] ;
				}
			}
		}
	}

[Edited by - TheSeb on June 29, 2005 3:59:06 AM]

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by TheSeb
-i swap z by -y for the normals and the vertices

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

I don't think you can do this. I got weird results when I did this. I had to apply a rotation matrix to get the vertices and normals right.

Hope this helps.

i have tried without swapping but i have the same problem with lighting and my model has moved at a place of the screen where it is not supposed to be.
I have forgotten something : when i multiply the vertices by the transformation matrix my model appears at a place which is not the place where it is supposed to appear.

i put the code which compute the normals' weight which is followed by the initialisation and the computation of the per vertex normals(in the previous post)

file.read((char*) &(myObjects[counterObj].nbPoly), sizeof (unsigned short int));

for (polyCounter = 0 ; polyCounter< myObjects[counterObj].nbPoly ; polyCounter++)
{

file.read((char*) &(myObjects[counterObj].myIndices[polyCounter][0]), sizeof (unsigned short int));
file.read((char*) &(myObjects[counterObj].myIndices[polyCounter][1]), sizeof (unsigned short int));
file.read((char*) &(myObjects[counterObj].myIndices[polyCounter][2]), sizeof (unsigned short int));
file.read((char*) &(faceInfo), sizeof (short int));
// cout<<"face info "<<faceInfo<<endl ;

int Va = myObjects[counterObj].myIndices[polyCounter][0] ;
int Vb = myObjects[counterObj].myIndices[polyCounter][1] ;
int Vc = myObjects[counterObj].myIndices[polyCounter][2] ;

float Vab[] = {(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vb][0] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Va][0]),
(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vb][1] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Va][1]),
(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vb][2] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Va][2])};

float Vac[] = {(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vc][0] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Va][0]),
(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vc][1] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Va][1]),
(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vc][2] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Va][2])};

float Vba[] = {(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Va][0] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vb][0]),
(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Va][1] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vb][1]),
(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Va][2] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vb][2])};

float Vbc[] = {(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vc][0] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vb][0]),
(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vc][1] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vb][1]),
(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vc][2] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vb][2])};

float Vca[] = {(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Va][0] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vc][0]),
(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Va][1] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vc][1]),
(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Va][2] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vc][2])};

float Vcb[] = {(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vb][0] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vc][0]),
(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vb][1] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vc][1]),
(myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vb][2] - myObjects[counterObj].myVertices[Vc][2])};

normalize(Vab) ;
normalize(Vac) ;
dotProduct(Vab, Vac, &resultDp) ;
//oFile2<<dec<<"resultDp "<<resultDp<<endl ;
angle[polyCounter][0]=acosf(resultDp) ;
//oFile2<<"angle "<<dec<<angle[polyCounter][0]<<endl ;

normalize(Vba) ;
normalize(Vbc) ;
dotProduct(Vba, Vbc, &resultDp) ;
//cout<<"resultDp "<<resultDp<<endl ;
angle[polyCounter][1]=acosf(resultDp) ;

normalize(Vca) ;
normalize(Vcb) ;
dotProduct(Vca, Vcb, &resultDp) ;
angle[polyCounter][2]=acosf(resultDp) ;

switch (faceInfo)
{
case 0x3 :crossProduct(&myObjects[counterObj].perFaceNormals[polyCounter], Vac, Vbc) ;
break ;
case 0x7 :crossProduct(&myObjects[counterObj].perFaceNormals[polyCounter], Vab, Vbc) ;
break ;
case 0x6 :crossProduct(&myObjects[counterObj].perFaceNormals[polyCounter], Vab, Vbc) ;
break ;
case 0x5 :crossProduct(&myObjects[counterObj].perFaceNormals[polyCounter], Vac, Vab) ;
break ;
case 0x4 :crossProduct(&myObjects[counterObj].perFaceNormals[polyCounter], Vab, Vcb) ;
break ;
case 0x2 :crossProduct(&myObjects[counterObj].perFaceNormals[polyCounter], Vca, Vbc) ;
break ;
case 0x1 :crossProduct(&myObjects[counterObj].perFaceNormals[polyCounter], Vac, Vcb) ;
break ;
case 0x0 :crossProduct(&myObjects[counterObj].perFaceNormals[polyCounter], Vba, Vcb) ;
break ;
}
normalize(&myObjects[counterObj].perFaceNormals[polyCounter]) ;

//oFile2<<dec<<"angle "<<angle[polyCounter*3]<<" "<<angle[polyCounter*3+1]<<" "<<angle[polyCounter*3+2]<<endl ;

}//end of the for loop

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!