Machine ID

Started by
12 comments, last by smr 18 years, 9 months ago
Quick and easy: What is the best way to derive a Machine ID (aka: System ID , Computer ID)? Looking for some API calls to get a few serial numbers and compile them into a 128bit ID. -Eric [edited for engrish] Also, I am not going to bother with the CPU serial number... becuase only PIII's support that :).
Advertisement
MAC addresses are unigue. Assuming the machine has an ethernet card, it has a unigue identification right there. If it has more then one, just pick one. If it doesn't have any, there aren't any other machines to worry about anyway.
That is what I was thinking, but my NIC on my laptop has a programmable one...

I also looked into hard drive serials... but I forgot that API call...

The only other routes I can think of are dongles (which I'm never going to do) and registry/file (which is easy to edit).

I heard of some functions that also use the creation date of a folder (C:\windows or the program's ROOT folder)...
^^^ me

Bah.. session timed out
Hi

You could use WMI - I think this is standard on w2k and newer windows OSes

VBScript example:
Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &h10Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &h20Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\.\root\CIMV2")Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM CIM_Chassis", "WQL", _wbemFlagReturnImmediately + wbemFlagForwardOnly)For Each objItem In colItems	WScript.Echo objitem.SerialNumberNext
WMI... wow.. never heard of that... prob cause I'm not a systems admin :). Let me see if I can whip up a C++ port of that code and see what that brings me...

Looking on the MSDN site, it does not give me the full details as to what serial number this is pulling from. Does this return the individual physical elements' S/Ns (ie: sound cards... hard drives... cd roms... etc)? Or on the system as the whole?
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

I seriously doubt it has a programmable MAC address. The entire point in MAC's is that they're static and unique.
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

I seriously doubt it has a programmable MAC address. The entire point in MAC's is that they're static and unique.

I don't wanna derail things here... So, quickly: both of the network routers that I've had recently can either clone or simply change their MAC addresses. I was always taught that MAC's were static/unique, but this little quirk always confused me [smile]

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Same with my router.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
You can alter the reported MAC address in software trivially.

Does CPUID include a unique CPU serial number? I can't remember. Hard drive and RAM serial numbers might be accessible too...maybe even mobo.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement