Sign in to follow this  
Rakanishu

Full Build

Rakanishu    122
I have developped a Visual C++ application with DirectX, Lua and Fmod, and I need to perform a full Build (static links to all .dll) in order to make my Installer work on any computer. How do you do this in Visual C++ 6? thanks Raka

What do you mean ?

Do you want to statically link all your DLL into your application? This is not possible. A DLL cannot be transformed into a static library (this has nothing to do with VC6. It is a limitation of the technology).

I suggest you to switch to a better installer if it do not allow you to add DLLs to your package (you should have a try to inno setup.

If you question is more about "how to add DLLs to may installation archive", then the anwser is "it depends on your installer". Using inno setup, this is done by adding a new "source" line in the [Files] section of the ISL file.

HTH,

nmi    978
Quote:
Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
I suggest you to switch to a better installer if it do not allow you to add DLLs to your package (you should have a try to inno setup.

Did knew of inno setup before, but looks nice.

Another very good installer is NSIS.

Rakanishu    122
Well, what I need my installer to do is to make my application work in any computer, even in those where DirectX is not installed. But adding the DLLs to my packages is not enough, if I'm not mistaken...
Maybe launching the DirectX Installer before mine? (I still don't know how you do this)

I'm using Install Shield

thanks for your help

Raka

nmi    978
At least with NSIS you can easily launch external applications during the installation process, i.e. the directx installer.

Quote:
Original post by Rakanishu
Well, what I need my installer to do is to make my application work in any computer, even in those where DirectX is not installed. But adding the DLLs to my packages is not enough, if I'm not mistaken...
Maybe launching the DirectX Installer before mine? (I still don't know how you do this)

I'm using Install Shield

thanks for your help

Raka

There is a whole section about DirectX redistribution in the (June 2005 update) DirectX help files (it is called "Installing DirectX with DirectSetup"). I believe it adresses all your concerns. Now, remember that DX is already installed on a lot of platform :)

Regards,

Quote:
Original post by nmi
At least with NSIS you can easily launch external applications during the installation process, i.e. the directx installer.

Inno Setup is also able to do it - via the [Run] section of the ISL file :)

Regards,

kezz    140
Put any dll's in the same folder as the executable. Windows checks there first afaik. Then run the packager.

kezz