• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Object inside Rectangle?

This topic is 4710 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

this is 2d. How can I check if an object is inside a rectangle? The rectangle can be rotated. Ex: Person A is looking at person B. I want to find all persons 2 meters to left/right and 3 meters behind B, forming a rectangle of 4x3 meters. What would the formula be to check if person C is within that rectangle?

Advertisement
One generalized way is to do a point-in-polygon test. Look at the Forum FAQ for "point-in-polygon". There is a link to a nice page that describes approaches.

Another way is to project the test point (location of person C) into a local coordinate frame that is located at the center of the rectangle and has an x axis parallel to one edge (width edge) and the y axis parallel to another edge (length edge). Then, just do this:

C_proj = projection of C into the local rectangle frame
if (-width < C_proj.x && width > C_proj.x &&
-length < C_proj.y && length > C_proj.y)
{
C is inside
}
else
{
C is outside
}

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!