so when is vc++ .net 2005 coming out?

Started by
6 comments, last by chollida1 18 years, 9 months ago
tried to go to the microsoft beta site but they wouldn't let me in without a .net passport... o, also, how hard do you think it is going to be to change a 20,000 line computer game from vc++ 6 to .net 2005? thanks.
Charles Reed, CEO of CJWR Software LLC
Advertisement
Oh yes it will be ! :)

Changing code from VC6 to VC7 was already a complex task (not only because of the compilation problems (this is the easy part), but also because of the thing you assume about the library and compiler you are using).

The gap between VC7 and VC8 is smaller, but it still exist.

I strongly suggest you to switch to the VC8 beta now. You'll be able to update your code and you'll be ready when the new GUI-waster monster will be out (c'mon! it is slow as hell! :))

Regards,
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Changing code from VC6 to VC7 was already a complex task (not only because of the compilation problems (this is the easy part), but also because of the thing you assume about the library and compiler you are using).

The gap between VC7 and VC8 is smaller, but it still exist.

I strongly suggest you to switch to the VC8 beta now. You'll be able to update your code and you'll be ready when the new GUI-waster monster will be out (c'mon! it is slow as hell! :))

Just like to point out that stay clear of VC++ 7.0 (VC++ 7.1 or above is what you want) as its almost as bad as VC++ 6.0, besides VC++ 7.1 & VC++ 8.0 express are free.
o great... thanks for the replys, even if it wasn't what i wanted to hear.
November 7, 2005
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
maybe i'll try devc++. that way my code will work on linux as well...
Quote:Original post by CJWR
maybe i'll try devc++. that way my code will work on linux as well...

No :) This is a common misconception. The compiler do not make the code cross-platform (using the same compiler on all plateform only help keeping the code cross-plateform). A Win32 application compiled with devcpp will not compile on linux ;)

Of course, if you stick to cross-platfrom libraries (SDL, the C++ standard lib that comes with gcc, and a bunch of other libs) then it will help.

Regards,
I'd encourage anyone doing cross platforma application development to use several different compilers. each compiler is wont' catch every bug but the union of the bugs caught by using many compilers will really help you clean up your code.

We use gcc 4.0 on Mac, vs.net on windows, and gcc 3.3 on linux. Hopefully gcc 4.0 soon on linux.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement