NO C in Longhorn!

Started by
83 comments, last by antareus 18 years, 9 months ago
HI. Can anyone help me with this question? WInFX is going to be the new API in Longhorn. It's going to be object oriented, but it won't wrap the current win32 API. I don't know if it's going to be compiled at runtime like .Net ( can anyone answer me this? ). Ok so what's the problem now? THe problem is that programmers won't be able to use C on windows anymore! NO C?!?! An OO API that can't be supported by C. Why nobody cares? Don't you think it's tragic? ps i could be wrong lol thx! edit: you can use C with other APIs but not with the official API of windows.. i mean
Advertisement
well, you may be wrong. otherwise I think Microsoft is building a system that will not work at all, will be made by idiots and will be used only by idiots!!!
How could exist a OS that does not support C programming? (Well I mean C/C++). How do they write the OS? How do companies make programs that work in ugly languages? Even worse code that may be interpreted!!! Videogames wouldn't go much far...
My last opinion: I don't know anything about this OS but if you're right I think Microsoft will make Linux beat it with its own hands! (Remember that I'm not a Linux fan at all! I hate it!)
Quote:Why nobody cares?

Because a) it's not out yet and b) there are other languages.

Quote:Don't you think it's tragic?

No.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I don't think this is too suprising, it is still going to be possible to use C, but C is not the best language for the development of most GUI apps. There are already a few MS APIs that exclude C, from MFC to .NET. With (from what I understand) the move being to more technologies that are similar to .NET, the phasing out of C (and even C++ somewhat) in favor of C# isn't a big suprise.

Honestly if you've written a Windows app in C and in most other languages (Java/C++/Python/C#) it's pretty easy to see that a language which has at least some OO constructs fits GUI programming much better than C.
I hate the coming of clean, safe code as well. [grin]
Well I am angry if there is no C++ support. I can live very well without C. About C# and .NET language I think they are so similar to C++ that it is not a problem to learn them if you already know C++ (about GUI I totally agree, OOP is a must! However I wouldn't like a system without some great features of C++ like pointers, (Java has not them))
I'm surprised that it took them this long to do it. There was a lot of snickering when we went from punch cards to terminals. Who in their right mind would choose line editors over punch cards? It's silly. After a while we got to scream about the transition from assembly language to C and PASCAL. It was just absurd to think you could accomplish anything in C. Then we had got to laugh at all the morons who switched to C++, Objective-C and Java. You just can't do any serious programming in type restritive languages. God forbid people have to adapt to a new way of thinking or be forced to write safe code.

All sarcasm aside I welcome our new object oriented overlords.
Remember C != C++
sorry double post
Well... one can make nice GUIs with win32 API and C...

And when i say tragic i mean that you can't program a GUI for this OS, in the language that this OS was programmed with.. :/

Anyway... i have a more ..serious question... ( i'll try not to hijack my own thread heh )

Why would you want to use WinFX ( Avalon ), when you have .Net and WinForms there? Especially for the guys who already feel comfortable with .Net? Let me put it this way: What's the need for this WinFX API? Do we really need it ( when we have .Net? )

thx

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement