Advantage of Meshes

Started by
3 comments, last by MannyZanny 18 years, 9 months ago
I am creating my own file format for saving and loading 3D models but is there an advantage of using meshes. I have seen code to load a mesh .x but if a mesh has considerable advantages how do you assign data into a mesh from a custom format?
Advertisement
What exactly do you mean by advantages to using a mesh? Are you talking about meshes in general? Or specifically the .x file format?

It's not a good idea to create a ID3DXMesh object and try to fill it with your own custom model data. If you've created your own custom format, it should have it's own methods of rendering, loading, etc.

All that you really need to do is load the data from the file, stuff the vertices and indices into buffers, create the materials and textures, and then render them all.

--m_nPostCount++
Quote:Original post by DirectXFreak
It's not a good idea to create a ID3DXMesh object and try to fill it with your own custom model data.

I would love to hear your reasoning on this. Care to share?

I've filled ID3DXMesh:es using my own model format(s) and it has worked ok...
----------------------------------------MagosX.com
I was just wondering if there were rendering speed advantages or easier for collision detection. But by the replies it sounds like it doesn't really matter at all?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement