J2ME SIZE and HELP

Started by
6 comments, last by Moose 18 years, 9 months ago
What is the Maximum Size a game should be for a PDA and a Cell Phone? I have a game in plan, maybe this will help. Its a Clone of Pac-Man, but this time you are the ghosts and you have to try to capture pac-man. you get special features and for ghosts and pac-man. Also I know C++ so I can be a help if needed, I'm also a web designer if you guys need me, ill do it for free. Back on topic. thre is a book called J2ME For Beginners. is this a good book? I know Java but I am still a bignner with J2ME. So any book suggestions. I prefer one, where at the end of the book, you write your own game. Please help me out. MSN - Ill give it 2 u if you need my help
Advertisement
Hey, I'd reccomend you look at the tutorials on this website first. Specifically this one:

An Introduction to Developing for Mobile Devices Using J2ME/MIDP (Part 1)

Also have you read the sticky thread at the top of the forum? That contains loads of valuable sources of information for J2ME. Do some experimenting yourself, it doesn't really matter what your game idea is. If you have written 2D games in JAVA already it shouldn't be too hard to learn J2ME, even without that book.

Oh yeah in terms of size you are looking at 64KB compressed on the average phone. Although some can support much higher sizes, sometimes network operators put limits on the sizes too.

BTW - It's probably not a good idea to put your e-maill address out in these forums because of SPAM bots.
Yeah, I have made a few simple space wars games with Java,

I have changed my email :), thanks for that.

What about level design, thats done with programming not gfx software

Quote:Original post by alexplevak
I know Java but I am still a bignner with J2ME. So any book suggestions. I prefer one, where at the end of the book, you write your own game.

J2ME Game Programming by Martin Wells
Jason Lam's online book

shmoove
Yeah, I have made a few simple space wars games with Java

Okay, so get one of them working in J2ME as a learning exercise.

What about level design, thats done with programming not gfx software

If you know Swing from J2SE it's pretty easy to build your own simple tile based level editor. Make up some sort of GUI that lets you place tiles, enemies and power ups on the screen. All you have to do is load and save this tile data into the editor, loading into the phone is almost the exact same code. If you want more help on how to write a level editor send me a PM, but you will have more fun (and learn a lot) if you try yourself first.

No reason to reinvent the wheel (unless you want to do it for the educational value) for a tile editor:
Mappy
Tile Studio

I'm pretty sure these links are in the FAQ thread too.

shmoove
Quote:Original post by shmoove
No reason to reinvent the wheel (unless you want to do it for the educational value) for a tile editor

Ah yeah but it's great fun [grin] to write editors!

Quote:Original post by pkelly83
Ah yeah but it's great fun [grin] to write editors!

Well,i rather save myself the trouble.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement