• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TheFallenKing

std::vectorbool

This topic is 4858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've read that std::vector<bool> is a special case that can be used as a bitvector. Well that's great because I need a bit vector for a small tool I'm building. But I can't find anything examples or explanations of how to use it as a bit vector (the documentation is pretty vague). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Advertisement
std::vector<bool> is a specialization of std::vector<T>, which means it'll be used automatically whenever the template argument is "bool". std::bitset is similar to std::vector<bool>, but is not growable.

It bears mentioning, by the way, that many consider the specialization of std::vector<bool> to be a Very Bad Thing; this "feature" may well be deprecated in a future version of C++.

You just use it as you would any normal vector:

std::vector< bool > some_bits;
some_bits.resize( 20 ); //20 bits...
some_bits[0] = true;
some_bits[1] = false;
bool a_bit = some_bits[19];

std::vector< bool > is often specialized to take only (on an x86 anyways) 1 byte per 8 bools (e.g. the data is compacted). Many consider this to be a serious flaw, as it means you can't write code like:

bool & a_bit = some_bits[13];
a_bit = 4;

And have it reliably work on an ISO Compliant compiler, since pointers/references only have the granularity of a byte (e.g. the minimum you can increment a pointer by is 8 bits at a time).

If you have a fixed-size bitset, you should be using std::bitset (MSDN documentation). If you need a variable-size bitset that will conserve memory, you should, IMO, use boost::dynamic_bitset in favor of std::vector< bool > - AFAIK, although certain requirements are removed for std::vector< bool > soas to allow for memory saving compression, it is not mandated that std::vector< bool > be a specialization - the fact that there appears to be no specialization in the GNU ISO C++ Library (as of Apr 27, 2005 anyways, judging by the doxygen timestamp on this page, at the bottom of which has links to the sources which I checked for such a specialization) seems to collaborate this.

Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
If you want to use a std::bitset (which is basically a vector of bools), take a look at this post.

However bitset cannot change its size at runtime, although vector of bools maybe okay, not only does it not have the nice functionality/interface of bitset it has *serious issues* in the actual standard itself which will be resolved by the C++ standards committee at some point in time.

Until then you need a C++ Boost try out dynamic_bitset

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!