AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Started by
17 comments, last by Spoonbender 18 years, 9 months ago
Sorry to bother anyone, but I'm going to buy a brand new laptop with a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU- but does this CPU run on a 32 bit Windows XP? And, Will i be able to use a 32 bit compiler which I use on my current Windows XP edition (32 bit) ? Thank you much for the information. Marmin.
Advertisement
It will work fine in 32 bit everything. 64 bit is an option, not a requirement, and nearly everything will work fine on an Athlon64 just like it was a normal, non-64 bit CPU.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
The short answer is yes you will be fine. My notebook is has and AMD 64 3200+ runing WinXP home and everything is happy.

The Athlon64 implements a 32 bit mode, that is compatible with previous x86 cpus, and a 64 bit mode, that allows execution of 32 and 64 bit application (but not 16 bit application anymore).

So yes, you can use your 32 bit OS and compiler without problems.
OK thanks very much- and this AMD will not be overheating too much on my new laptop? Or should I buy a Intel equivalent instead. With all those discussions it's very difficult for me to choose a CPU that will last for 3-4 years.In short: will it overheat more than an Intel?
An Athlon64 will probably be a little warmer than a Pentium M, but much cooler than a Pentium 4. And it will likely perform better than the P-M.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Aha thank you. And now i'm asking all those questions- an AMD will have the same life span as a genuine Intel(r) CPU with the same performance? (cuz i'm going to use the laptop heavily and at least for 4-6 hours a day)..

As a matter of fact my currect laptop had a Duron 1 ghz and it performed excellently. But the overheating was kind of bad, I could use it to heat my room... that fact always amazed me (but after 4 years it still works however!)

Thanks.
Don't worry about durability. I'm using a 64- 3200+ and I've been using it at least 8 hours a day. Working just fine, and a lot cooler than my old pentium. No problems at all.
Great! I can only guess what it feels like to operate a 64 bit CPU on a Mobile laptop.. great times we live in..
Maybe you will be interested in this page.
TDP means thermal design power.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement