What have been the bad elements of past CRPGs?

Started by
125 comments, last by rmsgrey 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Wysardry
According to the AD&D rules, padded armour weighs 10 lbs, full plate weighs 70 lbs, a dagger weighs 1 lb and a two-handed sword weighs 15 lbs. A fighter could therefore be using equipment weighing 85 lbs compared with only 11 lbs for the mage.

Well, AD&D weight rules have been highly contested due to inaccuracy. Such a weight system doesn't take in to account distribution of weight. I've worn full plate, and I could easier wear full plate than I could carry 70 lbs of other items with me. Warriors are likely to use armor weighing half that, and a weapon weighing around 4 lbs. However, I do understand your point.

It is a different part of the rules that are lacking though. While I may take high strength and intelligence as a wizard, the strength would not be as effective as taking such a thing as a warrior. This is why I prefer classless systems. Instead of choosing a class that is defined by a designer and follow the beliefs of what he thinks it should be, I get to pick and choose what I want to be.

Depending upon the setting and spells available, it might be possible for a mage to kill enemies or travel more quickly than a fighter (why walk when you can teleport?). Mages tend to be at a disadvantage at lower levels, but at higher levels they can have several advantages over fighters.

It does, however, bring up another point. The classes are unbalanced. The only [mechanical] reason you would want to pick a fighter is so you wouldn't struggle at the start. Mages will be stronger by the end, and have spells that make up for all the abilities of the other classes. Mages teleporting to town might solve the problem of travel time for a lower carrying capacity, but it tips the scale too far in the other direction. Now you've got high level mages killing everything in sight, loading up on treasure, and instantly being back in town to open up shop. A simple spell that carries stuff for you would suffice to balance the issue, given that the magic system is itself balanced.
Advertisement
RPG rules aren't designed to be 100% accurate, as they have to be understood and used by the average player without causing delays in the game, which means generalizing and/or simplifying many aspects.

I'm not sure why you believe that a particular level of strength is less effective for a mage than a fighter, as encumbrance, melee damage etc. are the same for all classes. The only real difference is in the items that each can equip and use.

Even though systems which allow you to create custom characters are more flexible, they still require you to balance advantages and disadvantages. Most still provide preset characters, as many players don't want to expend that much effort before they can start playing. Many class based systems include the option to choose multi-class characters (such as a fighter/mage or fighter/mage/rogue) as a compromise.

There is more than one mechanical reason to choose a fighter over a mage. Fighters gain levels quicker, have more HP, have the widest choice of weapons and armour, don't have to worry about learning/memorising the wrong spells or running out of spell points, are simpler to play...

Whether having access to a teleport spell tips the balance too far in the mage's favour depends on how many times (s)he can cast it without resting. Most systems restrict the number of times a spell can be cast and/or the number that can be memorised at any one time. If there is a finite number of spell points or slots, the use of a teleport spell would reduce the number of times an attack or defence spell could be used.

A spell that carried items for you is unlikely to be practical as like most other spells it would be of limited duration. It would be simpler to hire a porter. Also, if the magic system is already balanced, then adding a new spell is likely to cause an imbalance (standard AD&D rules already include teleport spells).

D&D/AD&D is still being used after 30 years and there have only been two major rules revisions released in that time, so the designers must be doing something right. When someone says a particular aspect is unbalanced, what they usually mean is that they don't like a particular disadvantage that is included to balance an advantage, or they've chosen a class that doesn't suit their personal playing style.

If the system really was that unbalanced, there would be more unofficial modifications around than there are. After all, it's much quicker to playtest modified rules in a PnP game than it is in a computer version, as player feedback can be gathered in realtime, and adjustments made dynamically.

The closest alternative computer game designers have is to include online play and PvP capabilities so different characters can be compared head to head.
I'm not sure why you believe that a particular level of strength is less effective for a mage than a fighter, as encumbrance, melee damage etc. are the same for all classes. The only real difference is in the items that each can equip and use.

Even though systems which allow you to create custom characters are more flexible, they still require you to balance advantages and disadvantages. Most still provide preset characters, as many players don't want to expend that much effort before they can start playing. Many class based systems include the option to choose multi-class characters (such as a fighter/mage or fighter/mage/rogue) as a compromise.

There is more than one mechanical reason to choose a fighter over a mage. Fighters gain levels quicker, have more HP, have the widest choice of weapons and armour, don't have to worry about learning/memorising the wrong spells or running out of spell points, are simpler to play...

Whether having access to a teleport spell tips the balance too far in the mage's favour depends on how many times (s)he can cast it without resting. Most systems restrict the number of times a spell can be cast and/or the number that can be memorised at any one time. If there is a finite number of spell points or slots, the use of a teleport spell would reduce the number of times an attack or defence spell could be used.

A spell that carried items for you is unlikely to be practical as like most other spells it would be of limited duration. It would be simpler to hire a porter. Also, if the magic system is already balanced, then adding a new spell is likely to cause an imbalance (standard AD&D rules already include teleport spells).

D&D/AD&D is still being used after 30 years and there have only been two major rules revisions released in that time, so the designers must be doing something right. When someone says a particular aspect is unbalanced, what they usually mean is that they don't like a particular disadvantage that is included to balance an advantage, or they've chosen a class that doesn't suit their personal playing style.

If the system really was that unbalanced, there would be more unofficial modifications around than there are. After all, it's much quicker to playtest modified rules in a PnP game than it is in a computer version, as player feedback can be gathered in realtime, and adjustments made dynamically.

1: We are clearly talking about different AD&D games here. Are you referring to 2e? A warrior with a 20 strength and a mage with a 20 strength fighting with the same weapon and the same hitpoints with no special effects, and the fighter will win.

2: Just because classless systems require more things to be balanced doesn't make them a bad thing or even the same as a classed system. It just means that once you are done you have a system where anyone can be anything and balance is maintained.

3: All classes have the same experience chart in 3.x AD&D, which makes me think you are thinking of 2e again. There are classes which don't require memorization. ... and I had already mentioned the hp thing earlier and how unbalanced that is.

4: Just because a system has been around for a long time doesn't make it right. America is still a democratic republic with corrupt officials. Saddam's reign lasted how many years? I think there have been more than 2 major changes to DND.

5: If you think there aren't that many modifications to DND, then you just haven't opened your eyes. I can find HUNDREDS, if not more online. There are lots of aspects to the game that people don't like. It just takes time for them to notice it, change it, and release a new addition.

6: The whole point against class systems is because someone might not like the playstyle of any of the classes. Multiclassing has improved, but it still isn't that great.
I would like to comment on one of the "gripes" mentioned. A few posts brought up dancing not being used in any rpg's as an actual increasable skill, one game did use dancing as a form of healing. Star Wars Galaxies, albeit not the greatest title set in the SW universe, did use dancing to heal one of the three stats used, I don't remember which now. The more you succesfully healed other players in the cantina, the more your skill went up, and the more dances you could learn. The same held true for musicians, allowing different instruments to be used eventually.
::Random Post:: (I may or may not have read through all of the arguments in the previous four pages. So you can call me lazy, but don't expect this to all be original)

1.) The only real reason (economically) to produce a game that's out of the mold is to capitalize on the fact that said game is out of the mold. Consumers are quite happy with what they have. But they'd be alot happier with something better, and chances are they'd buy it too. So, regardless of whether or not consumers are sick of the status quo (It's foolish to wait to get to that point with games in any case) there is money in pushing the limits.

2.) Realism isn't just graphics. Physics adds to realism. The subtle way that things move adds to the realism. However, realism isn't a very good word to use for this quality. Familiarity and some relation to the real world are a prerequisite of humor and enjoyment. Without delving too much into phsychology, we find things humorous (I know game 'fun' isn't neccesarily humor, bear with me) because they break out of an expected pattern. The brain works on patterns. Things are fun because they exceed our expectations, or give us the idea (Illusionary or otherwise) that we've gotten something, or fulfilled a need. Realism is needed in games to suspend disbelief, and to set up a scenario that the player can understand. Without belief first (reality) there can be no suspension of disbelief. Furthermore, in any game (unless previously stated), the player assumes that the game world has some things in common with the real world. If you created a game that had no common paradigms with the real world, it would be useless. Even the most 'abstract' of titles have lots in common. Rez, for instance, featured a humanoid character flying around a world composed of texureless polygons and lines. People called this abstract. But it's not really. Humanoid characters, music, physical surroundings (even if they were composed only of lines). Just to lay the 'Realism' aspect to rest. Realism is neccesary for familiarity which is neccesary for fun. As a final end to that argument, there has been no game ever realeased that attained any level of genuine fun (E.g., you can't build a real argument against this) devoid of familiarity. Even Tetris had gravity! In fact, only the simplest puzzle games don't have abundant familiarity to reality - but for any complex game, it's a requirement.

3.) That said, the rules systems used in RPG's are antiquated, and not very realistic (The realism of D&D could be disputed in another thread, but be assured that the opposition would loose). D&D rules? Great for a boardgame. Why the hell can't developers create something new thrity years later? Those rules aren't realistic. And it's no longer neccesary to simplify reality to that extent with the computing power we have to use. Maybe its useful as a way to simplify data for the player, but there are probably many better ways of handling stats on the computer side of things. I find it incredibly frustrating when my miss rates are determined by a random chance. You don't win in RPG's because you're good at them - you win because of a string of completely random chances. This defeats the illusion that you've worked to accomplish something (at least for me - but I'm quite sure, as I stated above, that while the current system may work, a better system would be both more desireable and make more money. Obviously, publishers don't want to rock the boat. They have their money in the status quo. Someone's gonna make their money beating the crap out of the status quo. Who would you rather be?). The excuse that RPG's aren't supposed to be skill based or that using another system will lead to mundane hack n' slash is not only logically incorrenct (Involving player skill does not cause simplistic hack n' slash gameplay, developing a poor system does. Do not argue that because no one has done it correctly it cannot be done either. That should be obviously foolish.), it's a cop out. I would find it hard to believe that the D&D system is the best system possible to create. Has anyone even tried anything other than D&D? (Obviously yes. Don't take this one literaly.) The system was created for a boardgame. If someone created a more detailed (Strength is one stat...hah..could you get any more oversimplified?), more intuitive, and more realistic system, RPG's would be better. In fact, if each development firm crafted their own unique system, it would be even better. Of course, many firms do this, but they're often (if not always) as simple as D&D. It's a text-based RPG with a 3D rendered cover on it (Add to that the fact that those covers are not very good - World of Warcraft doesn't even have player - player collision detection. [sarcasm] You can jump though! That's a start [/sarcasm]). Give players at least the illusion that they rely on more than how well they can copy a build off of a website or whether or not they rolled a hit or a miss. D&D was created in a setting where combat was not feasible, and tactics were preffered. They were creating a different type of military strategy game. Now, seeing as we are no longer limited by a board - why can't we have all the good and none of the bad? RPG designers stick by the D&D rules like gospel. No one has come up with anything better? That seems to me to be just creatively lazy.

What I hate about RPG's is the limited gameplay and combat focused around a reverence for antiquated board game RPG rules. You've already heard my rants about the economic purposes of MMORPG's outshadowing the gameplay, but it's truly a shame when game developers can't even break out of the mold and still get their title sold (Rhyme unintentional). I'm not going to post my concept of what would make a good/better RPG. That would take too long. But, I can tell you that if someone fixed the problems that I have presented, they'd become filthy, filthy rich very quickly (Assuming they marketed it correctly, etc. On a gameplay to gameplay comparison, there would be a clear winner. If they marketed such a game instead of the next 'blockbuster' - they'd win). Even that aside, the game would be superior. Period.

The more suspension of disbelief without incumbering irritating limitations (It'd suck if you died from gunfire realistically in Max Payne - that would be going overboard. But if you could fly and were invulnerable to bullets, the game would suck just as much.) the better. Therein, to settle that argument, whether or not realism is needed needs to be decided in a logical fashion on a CASE BY CASE BASIS. When someone speaks of increasing realism in a game, the counter argument should not be, "Realism is bad and makes games boring," just as the argument should not be, "Realism is good and suspends disbelief." It's a case by case thing. However, in most cases, it seems that people oppose realism for a silly reason and people pupport realism for an ill-defined while probably good one.

----------

Quote:
Quote:

Let's face it, as Maddox says, "rag-doll" is basically just a BS hype name for an engine that supports basic Newtonian physics.

With all due respect to the "best site in the universe" I have to say that this isn't a trivial problem. Think about it. If it were simple to drop in, you'd already see it. It's not that there aren't legions of programmers who don't know physics, its that there are optimization and resource problems which have to be solved for each engine (because they all have their quirks).

No offense meant Wav (I mean that in the sincerest of terms. You push the envelope with your ideas, I respect that), but there are many simple things that are left not done :). Think of all of the stupid trivial things throughout human history that people haven't done. I really do think the physics engine example is an example of a lack of expertiese. It's all documented, and it's not a problem to do. The key issues involve time and expertise, not money. Of course, learning physics isn't relegated to the top 2% of the population, but I venture to say many of the programmers don't actively have the knowledge required to produce a physics engine. In any case, more so than that, publishers want to neither spend the time developing physics nor the money to liscence an existing engine for many projects. However, rag doll physics is in just about every modern FPS - liscened in every case. It's a battle between money, time, and lack of expertise. Naturally, this doesn't mean it's easy. It just means that they don't have a good reason not to include physics (from a game design standpoint).

----------

5.) Seeing as a certain amount and type of realism is good, and pushing the status quo is an oppurtunity to both chase down creativity and sell a blockbuster game, it logically follows that new ideas should be welcomed, not shunned. That said, the item system pisses me off in most RPG's. In Diablo II, the system worked great, however. It's counter intuitive and unrealistic to limit someone's armor based on class. Why is it that these two characters who look physically exactly the same will have such vastly differing strength? In Diablo II, sorceresses wore less armor than Barbarians because sorceresses had to invest more in mana than strength. They *could* use heavy armor, but it would require a large investment that would be outweighed by the losses in mana. Sure, the current system works. But this one was better. I'd like someone to please explain to me how you can randomly find a piece of armor that fits you perfectly (Real armor has to be customized for its wearer. I find it hard to believe that you could find the exact same magical item as someone else and have it fit both people in reality) - but you can't wear a piece of armor because "You're a mage." Am I physically incapable of PUTTING THIS HELM ON MY HEAD? That is such a lazy, half assed design mechanism. Instead of developing a better more complicated system, they cut corners and put in this lazy system instead. Bah.

There will be more.

[Edited by - Nytehauq on July 4, 2005 5:59:31 PM]
::FDL::The world will never be the same
Quote:Original post by Nytehauq
Why is it that these two characters who look physically exactly the same will have such vastly differing strength?

Typically, it'd be because the game makers decided they'd reuse the same character model/animation for player characters regardless of the character's stats. -.^ i.e. the shortcoming is actually on the visual side of the game, not on the mechanics... in this particular case, anyway.

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Nytehauq
Why is it that these two characters who look physically exactly the same will have such vastly differing strength?

Typically, it'd be because the game makers decided they'd reuse the same character model/animation for player characters regardless of the character's stats. -.^ i.e. the shortcoming is actually on the visual side of the game, not on the mechanics... in this particular case, anyway.

Obviously :)

But I was talking about the fact that it detracts from the realism, not the limitations in the number of models you can build on a fixed timescale ;).
::FDL::The world will never be the same
2.) Realism isn't just graphics. Physics adds to realism. The subtle way that things move adds to the realism. However, realism isn't a very good word to use for this quality. Familiarity and some relation to the real world are a prerequisite of humor and enjoyment. Without delving too much into phsychology, we find things humorous (I know game 'fun' isn't neccesarily humor, bear with me) because they break out of an expected pattern. The brain works on patterns. Things are fun because they exceed our expectations, or give us the idea (Illusionary or otherwise) that we've gotten something, or fulfilled a need. Realism is needed in games to suspend disbelief, and to set up a scenario that the player can understand. Without belief first (reality) there can be no suspension of disbelief. Furthermore, in any game (unless previously stated), the player assumes that the game world has some things in common with the real world. If you created a game that had no common paradigms with the real world, it would be useless. Even the most 'abstract' of titles have lots in common. Rez, for instance, featured a humanoid character flying around a world composed of texureless polygons and lines. People called this abstract. But it's not really. Humanoid characters, music, physical surroundings (even if they were composed only of lines). Just to lay the 'Realism' aspect to rest. Realism is neccesary for familiarity which is neccesary for fun. As a final end to that argument, there has been no game ever realeased that attained any level of genuine fun (E.g., you can't build a real argument against this) devoid of familiarity. Even Tetris had gravity! In fact, only the simplest puzzle games don't have abundant familiarity to reality - but for any complex game, it's a requirement.

Semi-recent bestselling game "Who wants to be a millionaire?" being a fine example of high levels of realism...

The real concern is not realism, but consistency. If the player can learn the rules of the game world quickly and easily, and those basic rules don't change significantly, then you have just as much basis for "belief". The benefit of "realism" is that it has a pre-learnt system to draw on. The disadvantage is that departures from outright realism are more jarring.

Quote:
3.)D&D rules? Great for a boardgame.

I've played many hours of D&D without ever seeing a board. Whatever other things it may be, D&D is most emphatically not a boardgame.

Quote:The more suspension of disbelief without incumbering irritating limitations (It'd suck if you died from gunfire realistically in Max Payne - that would be going overboard. But if you could fly and were invulnerable to bullets, the game would suck just as much.) the better. Therein, to settle that argument, whether or not realism is needed needs to be decided in a logical fashion on a CASE BY CASE BASIS. When someone speaks of increasing realism in a game, the counter argument should not be, "Realism is bad and makes games boring," just as the argument should not be, "Realism is good and suspends disbelief." It's a case by case thing. However, in most cases, it seems that people oppose realism for a silly reason and people pupport realism for an ill-defined while probably good one.

As far as I can see, the major benefits of "realism" are:
1) It's a selling point for the back of the game box.
2) It saves developers from straining their imaginations to come up with an original system instead.
3) It presents the player with an immediately familiar setting.
4) We're fairly sure that the universe's rules are pretty well balanced, and tend not to break down in interesting ways, so copying from reality gives a better chance of a good starting balance.

Quote:
5.) Seeing as a certain amount and type of realism is good, and pushing the status quo is an oppurtunity to both chase down creativity and sell a blockbuster game, it logically follows that new ideas should be welcomed, not shunned.

What does realism have to do with new ideas?

Quote:That said, the item system pisses me off in most RPG's. In Diablo II, the system worked great, however. It's counter intuitive and unrealistic to limit someone's armor based on class. Why is it that these two characters who look physically exactly the same will have such vastly differing strength? In Diablo II, sorceresses wore less armor than Barbarians because sorceresses had to invest more in mana than strength. They *could* use heavy armor, but it would require a large investment that would be outweighed by the losses in mana. Sure, the current system works. But this one was better. I'd like someone to please explain to me how you can randomly find a piece of armor that fits you perfectly (Real armor has to be customized for its wearer. I find it hard to believe that you could find the exact same magical item as someone else and have it fit both people in reality) - but you can't wear a piece of armor because "You're a mage." Am I physically incapable of PUTTING THIS HELM ON MY HEAD? That is such a lazy, half assed design mechanism. Instead of developing a better more complicated system, they cut corners and put in this lazy system instead. Bah.

Most modern pnpRPGs let magic users use armour and weaponry at horrendous penalties (typically inability to cast spells and reduced effectiveness of the equipment)

As far as mages wearing hats goes, a chunk of cold iron closely associated with the brain of someone trying to manipulate mystical energies is liable to short out their spellcasting.

And, the magically fitting armour is an obvious abstraction to avoid having to find a blacksmith and spend months having it resized and fitted. It's still possible to wear unfitted armour (though it's less effective) and, unless the player characters are prepared to spend the time getting the armour custom fitted, the chances are that their armour is a patchwork of unmatched pieces by the time they've upgraded a few times.
I feel that most RPGs are writtent to (so to speak) "the lowest common denominator". (My thoughts are kind of scattered right now so I'll try to stay clear) It seems like most of the RPGs have the elements that the greatest number of people enjoy, magic, swords, creatures, etc...

I have no problem with having the elements that allow the least skilled (attempting not to insult anyone here) among us to play and still enjoy the game but I would like to see this implemented with more complicated features added on top.

(Not sure where to stick this, this is for text-based RPGs for the this post)

Trying to clear up my meaning I'll use the Gemsone IV combat system. There are swords and ranged weapons and in ranged weapons there are bows and crossbows. Most people use swords. Why is this? You simply need to take your sword out and "attack critter". Very simple, very boring after a while. Less users use ranged weapons but more use bows. What is the difference here? Well with all ranged weapons (and all you need to do with bows) you need to pull out one arrow, fire at the critter, then pick up the arrows after the critter is dead. With crossbows there is the addition of having to load the crossbow.

What is noticable there is the more complicated the system, the less people that use the system. I would have liked to see where all three types of weapons could have used "attack critter" then added more complicated componenets when desired by the user, let the system keep track of arrows and bolts for the user so they don't have to if they don't want to.

What I want to create is a battle system (we'll stick to swords for now) where the simplest form of attacking is type "attack critter" and the system will handle closing to attack range and choosing (with better accuracy the greater the skill of the character) which attack type to use (feint, slash, parry, etc...). For advanced users, the player can choose how to close on his opponent and choose which attack type to use.

This allows this skill level of the character to dictate the lowest level of play the character can play at but the knowledge and skill of the player to dictate the highest level of skill the player can play at. Complicated of course but I think worthwile and something I want to try implementing.

Completely on another tangent from this now...

Another thing I want to see changed from existing RPGs is, character hunts, critters drop silvers and equipment, players buys and sells equipment.

This just seems to limited to me. I want to create an entire economic system. The game I've begun working on is a sci-fi based RPG which makes this easier but I have in mind the following:

The MMORPG gameworld will initially begin on a mining colony. The player can choose to work in the mining center to gain credits or hunt in a crashed alien spaceship nearby to sell the equipment he harvests from the ship. The player can then continue to simply hunt or he can purchase mining equipement and mine his own or an another site. The player can learn forging or fabricating to create swords, firearms or other equipment. (Swords because in the tight quarters of stations or spaceships, I feel swords would regain their advantage over firearms.) The player can even purchase a site for a shop or purchase a trading ship and begin flying goods between the colonies.

All of this system may be incredibly complex, but I'm not in this to produce a profitable game. I've reciently graduated from engineering colege and want to begin a research project to tie everyting I've learned together. This whole system may take me 10-20 years to design or more but I think it will be interesting to attempt. I even have ideas beyond this for a combat system where the leader of a group of players and AI can give commands to those following him to increase the stratigy component of RPGS.

I hope some of this ramble makes sense...

-Drethron
I find it hard to believe that you could find the exact same magical item as someone else and have it fit both people in reality

Dude, I think you're confused. In "reality", that is "in real life", I don't think I've ever seen a "magical" item. If we're agreed that this is a "magical" item, then I fail to see any reason it shouldn't fit. I've never heard anyone seriously complain that the one ring fit both Sauron's polish sausage finger and Frodo's pencil finger.

What it comes down to is that this armor thing is fun. Not realistic, but still fun.

Also, I already know where to find a good implementation of reality. I mean, God said "It is good", who am I to disagree? [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement