Starting It

Started by
7 comments, last by Spoonbender 18 years, 9 months ago
I'm using C++ and ive got my program written.How do you run the program?
Advertisement
You'll need a compiler/linker to create an executable file from your C++ code. Then you can run it like you'd run any other program.

A favourite C++ IDE/compiler set is Bloodshed's Dev-C++ with the MinGW compiler. It's pretty easy to use and should get you going just fine. :)
You compile it, and unless there are errors you run it. Easy, eh?

What are using? Visual C++? GCC?
When I try to compile I always get an error. I'm using Visual C++ .NET

[Edited by - jason1 on June 29, 2005 4:17:47 PM]
Quote:Original post by jason1
When I try to compile I always get an error. I'm using Visual C++ .NET

What error (I'm going away for 10 days so can't help you :( ) ?

Posting the errors will let others help.

Yes, show us the error, as well as the portion of the code where you suspect the problem lies.
problem solved. i retyped it several times and eventually found out what i was doing wrong. the book has small print and i was putting a l where a 1 was supposed to be.
Ok,
Now that your are learning you have just taken the biggest step and what I think is the hardest step in game developing. That is.....Learning the language. I am learning c++ also, but just to tell you this if you get frustrated then just take time away from it. Don't take a big bite into it at one time. Also, when you get done with a section create some programs that use stuff in that section and other sections you have learned. Try different ways in writing the code so you can see the command errors. Also, if you get an error message then just look at the simple stuff. Stuff that you just know you did right but did wrong. Everytime I have tried to find the errors in a program I have written it has been easy errors.

Oh yeah most important. Have fun!

Chad
Quote:Original post by Chad Smith
Ok,
Now that your are learning you have just taken the biggest step and what I think is the hardest step in game developing. That is.....Learning the language.

Hehe, trust me, learning the language is probably the easiest part...
[wink]

But still, it's a good start. :D
And as Chad Smith said, take the time to experiment with what you've learned, and make sure to read the errors you get when you try to compile, and try to make sense of them. It takes a lot of patience to figure out just what you did wrong, but there's just not much of an alternative... ;)

Good luck with it [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement