• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kudi

what's the maximum number of array-elements?

This topic is 6417 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have a 3d-terrain with 110x110x2=24200 polygons, and for this terrain I need 24200*3=72600 polygon-indices: WORD* Indices=new WORD[72600]; Is 72600 to much to initialize? If so,is the type WORD(2 byte) or DWORD(4 byte) relevant? I mean is the maximum number of array-elements when I use WORDs the double of the maximum as when I use DWORDs? I hope you''ll understand.

Advertisement
I think the only limit with dynamic arrays is the amount of memory the computer has, independent of variable type. Correct me if I''m wrong.

-Jussi

I believe what selkrank said was true but am not sure. Anyway, with that many poly''s to work with, using an array is bound to be horrendeous. Maybe you should check out bsp trees and the like. Sounds like such a structure would benefit you more than an array would.

Regards,
Jumpster

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!