• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MatsG

Geforce 2 GTS and pixel sahders?

This topic is 6529 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is I stupid or doesn´t geforce 2 gts have pixelshader verison 1.0? I tried with the newest detonater3 drivers (6.31) but it still reports version 0.0. ???

Advertisement
no consumer hardware at this time supports pixels shaders in hardware (geforce + radeon included). i believe the nv20 will though when it comes out

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

Aren''t pixel shaders the same as register combiners? Because the geforce 2 does support register combiners. I''ve seen a few OpenGL demos that use register combiners to do per-pixel lighting, and they worked on my geforce 2 gts.

All the Pixel Shader stuff at least runs on GF1/2, and it definitely doesn''t run as a texture uploaded every frame. And the GeForce has nv_vertex_program extensions. I guess the GF supports pixel shaders. Register combiners are somehwat similar to this

I''ve asked the same question a few weeks ago

The answer I got was, that GF cards support pixelshaders. The problem is, that the drivers (Detonator 6.X) don''t support this functionality yet ... so, we''ll have to wait for Detonator 7.X drivers. I tried a leaked beta driver (7.17 I think) and it supported pixelshader level 0.5 (which was for the DX 8 Beta). So, I''m also waiting on nVidia

- MK42

Sorry guys but GeForce DOES NOT support pixel shaders.
I asked this question a while ago, and someone said, that it does.
As MK42 said: GeForce supports pixel shaders v0.5.
Also if you look in DXReadme.txt it says: - Programmable pixel shaders are supported on the host CPU using refrast only. These can be used for prototyping DirectX 8.0 shaders for use when hardware ships.

Sentinel: Are you sure? I thought, that pixelshaders are the same concept as register combiners in OpenGL. I haven''t had the time to look at this in depth, so I don''t know if the GF2 (which I have) has the required number of registers and operations to make it pass as a pixelshader 1.0 device. Nevertheless, the register combiners work like a charm ... so why shouldn''t pixelshader? The way I understood it, the leaked drivers only supported 0.5 because that''s what was necessary for the DX8 Beta. I don''t have access (yet) to the nVidia registered developer corner, so I don''t know whether they have something cool over there.

Anyways, the GF2 claims it has a "pixel shading rasterizer" ... that''s in essence the pixelshader/reg combiner feature. Anyways, I still think (or rather hope) that at least the GF2 will support pixelshaders in the next Detonator release ... even if it''s a bit limited.

- MK42

You can do many things with SetTextureStageState, and what it is meant with "pixel shaders" is this (I think). But "MFC Pixel Shader" for example is different. I think it would be better to call it "programmable pixel shaders". As far as I took a look into this it looks like programming a pixel pipeline itself (4 texture registers, even if GeForce 2 GTS can do 8 textures in one pass). I also think, that 2 temp registers, 4 texture registers, 2 colour registers and 8 constant registers are again placed on a single pipeline. GeForce and Radeon probably don''t have that much registers...
BTW: I have a GeForce 2 MX - cool card...

a few words with more weight then mine

There is currently no hardware which supports D3D pixel shaders. We
expect there to be early next year.

The "fixed-function" texture pipeline has been enhanced in DX8 to cover
some extra functionality (in particular, a couple of things that you
could do with register combiners), and it''s perfectly legal to continue
to use that until pixel shader capable hardware comes along.

Tony Cox - DirectX Luminary
Windows Gaming Developer Relations Group
http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!