Space Adventure game question

Started by
12 comments, last by robert4818 18 years, 9 months ago
sergeant_X I think that there are a whole lot of different things you would need to nail down.

For example: how will you make the game exciting/interesting, what reason does the player have to play if there isn't combat? I can see that engineering and repair work could be quite fast-paced and fun, if there was frequent damage from space debris and malfunctions due to dodgy equipment. (hey, who needs enemy ships to make ships get in trouble?). (Kind of survival horror in space, with rocks as the zombies).

> Robot, an asteroid has hit the starboard engine cluster, we are losing power go and fix it!
Computer voice- damage to the starboard wing nacelle.
Robot 2, I need you to repair the wing nacelle with this -----.
Computer, Incoming asteroid field.
Navigator > Move to avoid field.
Weapons shoot down the asteroids.

Not sure but it could work. And have the feeling that the ship is being held together by cardboard and boot laces.

What are the rewards of playing? What would make it worth driving across solarsystems. Do you find unidentified cargo floating in space that can be picked up?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Ketchaval
sergeant_X I think that there are a whole lot of different things you would need to nail down.

For example: ...

Yes, yes.. this is exactly what I'm looking for. Add to these kinds of activities more ordinary jobs-for-hire, transport of passengers(perhaps some of them could be mysterious plot devices), the occasional smuggling racquet - then intersperse that with some longer ranging story-arcs and 'character' developments. I think we could find some good game play out of this yet.

Thanks for the input. I have some interesting ideas now, at the very least.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
The closest thing to what you are looking for would be missions that take place on a ship or space station of an FPS. The Jedi Knight series has several of these.

The Marathon Trilogy from Bungie (now free to download) had some interesting levels on space ships.
I have a question for you... Do you envision this game to be an open-ended game, or a structured game with levels?

I think an open ended game might not do your idea justice, as the game might end up being more mechanical and boring after you repeat the same navigation day in and day out. If the "excitment of the deep black" is anything like the "excitement of the deep blue" then as a Sailor I can tell you its not very exciting.

I think your idea has merit, but I think to make it turn out good you'll need to put it together in a series of levels, or "episodes" like star-trek.

There is an Old NES game you may want to look at for inspiration. Its called space shuttle or something.
Ideas presented here are free. They are presented for the community to use how they see fit. All I ask is just a thanks if they should be used.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement