I want to rewrite my old game... where to start.

Started by
9 comments, last by Zeraan 18 years, 9 months ago
Ok about 3 years ago i wrote a space shotter in DirectDraw. since then i really did any work with API or anything. So i figure best why to get back into is use all my old gaphics and sound files from my old game and try to rewrite the game cleaner,better, and more features. Like i said, i have not been into game programming for a while so do you think i should try to write it in SDL? SDL DirectX? SDL OpenGL?. What about the Sound if i go with SDL? does it have a sound libary too? Thanks, Chris
Advertisement
SDL sounds like your best bet here. It is a little slow, but easy to learn, and yes, it has sound capabilities via SDL_Mixer.
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
SDL is a nice library for pixel pushing.
SDL runs atop of DirectX on windows, if you're pixel pushing.
SDL can be used to set up an OpenGL context, just like GLUT can.
SDL can't wasn't designed to be used to set up a DirectX context, AFAIK, if that's what you meant by "SDL DirectX".
OpenGL (no matter how set up) is nice for games with rotation that don't want a seperate sprite for each facing.

Which is best depends on the game :-).

And as Sir Sapo has allready pointed out, SDL does indeed have sound, see the SDL_Mixer documentation.

[Edited by - MaulingMonkey on June 30, 2005 1:30:49 AM]
Ahh yes Thanks i guess i miss read something about the DirectX Part.

On the OpenGL side of SDL, what do you mean about "don't want a seperate sprite for each facing"?

One would make a polygon and texture is like one would make a Sprite in a DirectDraw Since right.

What we mean is that instead of making a sprite for each direction a player can face, you can make one image, texture it onto a quad, then rotate it when you have to. It saves loads of time and filespace, instead of 16 100kb images, you can have 1, and it will work the same.
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
Here is the article on SDL and Direct3D.
Quote:Original post by Boder
Here is the article on SDL and Direct3D.

That'll teach me to make claims about what libraries don't work together.. :P. Well maybe it will. Previous post edited.
Quote:Original post by Sir Sapo
What we mean is that instead of making a sprite for each direction a player can face, you can make one image, texture it onto a quad, then rotate it when you have to. It saves loads of time and filespace, instead of 16 100kb images, you can have 1, and it will work the same.

I don´t see a reason why that shouldn´t work with D3D? You could also build a quad (2 tris), use a rotation matrix and your done?

Are you talking about the differences between top-down and isometric?

Isn't that that same thing Direct Draw did?

I had one image filled with many sprites and i believe when i wanted different images say for an animation, i would move the RECT of the Sprite so it would show a different part of the image.

Oh and i remember there was a forum around all about 2d Programming? It was pretty big and i found it like a year ago when looking into OpenGL but lost the link anybody know what i am talking about?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement