Why is there not alot of OpenGL game books?

Started by
13 comments, last by GameMasterXL 18 years, 9 months ago
I am trying to get a good OpenGL book on creating a game, but they all mostly seem to be DirectX [angry]. I don't want to program my game engine in DirectX due to its OS independant and i want cross platform. So does anyone know a good book that is good for creating a game in OpenGL? or if any DirectX books techniques can be applied to OpenGL? thanks.
Advertisement
Buy me!
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
Buy me!

Isn't the new version Begining OpenGL Game Programming soposed to be better?

There are all these cool DirectX books but not alot of realy cool OpenGL books :(.
Well in retrospect you can find a lot of info about OpenGL online and less about DirectX online. From my personal experience that is; some of the Game Programming Gems Series books have examples of OpenGL.

I learned OpenGL online, but for DirectX I learned from books and very few DirectX examples.
Quote:Original post by GameMasterXL
Quote:Original post by Promit
Buy me!

Isn't the new version Begining OpenGL Game Programming soposed to be better?

There are all these cool DirectX books but not alot of realy cool OpenGL books :(.

i have mixed feeling about that book. First i don't want to buy the newer version because it doesn't have as much info ( its ONLY 336 pages wtf? the other is 808 ), but how can i buy a book when its author says "don't buy this book".

I don't know what to buy for OpenGl yet...
that was me..
The new one doesn't have less info about OpenGL -- just less non-openGL related info. For example, the last one had DirectInput, etc, which while it was nice and all, wasn't exactly related to OpenGL. The new one is pure openGl, and I am about 150 pages into it, and am really enjoying. I do have prior DirectX experience, but I still find the book to be extremely easy to understand and well written.
i am not impressed by the contents of the book anyways.. And the reason i wanted to buy the other book was because it has non openGL topics. I want a book for OpenGL game programming. A game isn't just graphics. If it was merely about the graphics i would go with the Red book
So what book is my best bet to go with? i like the look of that Begining OpenGL game programming but what games does it show you to make? and is there any realy good online reference or book for openGL? i looked at NEHE's and they look good. I would much prefere to use OGL because i think it looks better than DirectX since Microsoft being Microsoft they made it platform independant(like usual). So i am stuck.
You will never learn game programming from 1 book. A game requires graphics, AI, physics, special effects etc. My suggestion is learn c/c++ or even Java if you like. Try making simple games, from there you will define your own techniques, get stuck find answers, then get specific info for what you want to learn, specific books for what you want to specialize in etc.

The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement