J2ME Cell Phones & PDA's Compatible?

Started by
3 comments, last by trojanman 18 years, 9 months ago
What Cell Phones & PDA's are compatible with J2ME? I know there is a Motorola V600 which offers j2me programmiblity does it really matter what i get ? a cell phone or a pda for J2ME, ? or aslong as they have Data Transfer and atleast 5 MB of space I am ok?
Advertisement
Quote:
What Cell Phones & PDA's are compatible with J2ME?

Most recently cell phones support java. For PDA's check the manufacturers website. Lots of PDA's do support java, and most will come with either a cradle or data cable to load applications. Actually, check the manufacturers website for either to make sure they support a sensible version of j2me. The thing to look for is what version of MIDP and CLDC they have, ideally look for MIDP2 (CLDC is less important, but if they have v1.1 thats the most recent). Google those acronyms for more info.

Quote:
does it really matter what i get ? a cell phone or a pda for J2ME, ?

It depends on what you want to do. If you just want to make some j2me games for fun and want to be able to run them on a device to play with then it doesn't matter at all. I would suggest buying something higher-end to make your life easier. The motorola v600 you quoted is a good choice, it will load JAR's upto ~180kb and has 800kb of heap (RAM) to play with. Another good one would be the Motorola MPx220. Its a smartphone which means it runs Windows CE and can load some very cool java stuff.

If you are planning on writing a comercial product for specific devices then you should get one (or more) of those actual devices to test on.

Quote:
atleast 5 MB of space

I guess thats for some PDA you have seen? Cell phones are generally considered insanly high end if they have over a couple of MB space for storing apps.

Alan
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour
What are some PDA'S that are good for this ? So as long as they support JAVA APLICATIONS I can write code in J2ME and upload it?
^ I'm not sure with PDAs...but with cellphones, you'll have to know also if it supports MIDP 1.0 or 2.0...if it supports MIDP 2.0, then it can run both MIDP 1 & 2 apps/games...and many apps usually build their interface based on specific devices (due to different screen sizes), so having a device supporting java doesn't mean that app X that runs on device Y will also run on device Z smoothly. :)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
atleast 5 MB of space

I guess thats for some PDA you have seen? Cell phones are generally considered insanly high end if they have over a couple of MB space for storing apps.

In general J2ME cell phones are limited to around 65K for low end MIDP1.0 device (in particular Nokia Series 40) and around 200k for MIDP2.0 devices. While that is just for the JAR executable size the running heap size will vary for each device.

For phone benchmark information go to http://www.jbenchmark.com . This site will give you screen sizes, heap sizes, and benchmarks for different phones.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement