Sign in to follow this  
alexplevak

[.net] VB.Net vs VB Any Different?

alexplevak    122
Can some one just gimme an explanination whats the diffrence between VB and VB.NET? I am going to learn VB.NET next semester at my school, so I want to learn it at home first, I know VB so am I ok? or do i need to learn VB.Net?

Promit    13246
VB and VB.NET share little more than the same syntax.

A lot of the Visual Basic forms model has been adopted for .NET, but there have been major sweeping changes throughout the system as well. VB.NET now sports a proper OOP model, not the broken model that VB6 had. Most of the VB6 library functions still exist, but their use is strongly discouraged. The compilation system is also quite different internally, and the power of reflection helps to replace a lot of Variant/Object hackery that was common in VB6.

The two languages look the same, but VB.NET is a "real" language, completely free of the toyishness that VB6 always had. It was a welcome change for me, a VB6 and C++ programmer. The language is no longer fettered by silly limitations in the OOP model, and it is generally a much more expressive and flexible language than VB6 ever was.

DrGUI    402
I taught myself VB .NET from knowing VB 6 and using the .NET SDK docs...I'm sure you can do the same!
VB .NET was much better (I agree with the last poster!) and I hate having to go back to VB 6 now arrghh! I now use C# though as I prefer the less verbose syntax![grin]

HopeDagger    970
I've found VB.NET to be no more than C# with VB6 syntax. I'm sure it's much easier to move from vanilla VB to VB.NET than it is to C#, but I've heard of a lot of VB programmers taking the plunge directly to C#. In my opinion, I've found C# to be an easy move (even though I didn't come in directly in a BASIC dialect), but I still use VB.NET from time to time when I want sugary syntactic code. ;)

TheNobleOne    176
Well there is one difference in VB.Net and C# and that is events. You can still use the lazymans events in VB.Net compaired to the C# subscription method. which in my mind makes much more sense. Reflection also has some quirks because VB.Net allows some things that C# will say no on. But if you know what you are doing syntax wise they are very similar.