Sign in to follow this  
__ROB_D__

[Win32 or .NET] Rapid App Devlopment

__ROB_D__    100
How's everyone doing today? Right just a quick question, i hope! I'm about to start development of a Level Editor... Should I uses Win32 API or .NET? Which produces results quickest? I've only got VC6, but I've got the VC2003 Toolkit... And whats the best and/or easyest way to make a edit box, for user input strings? Thats Rob:-D

Holy Fuzz    213
Assuming you don't already have a solid code-base built for C++/Win32, then .Net will be FAR easier than using Win32, especially for GUI apps.

I don't know how well .Net will work with VC6. I'd try to get myself an updated copy if I were you (or wait until November for .Net 2.0). You can often get perfectly legal copies from schools and other such places. (I got mine (VS.Net Pro) for $50 at my college).

Andrew Russell    1394
Quote:
Original post by Holy Fuzz
Assuming you don't already have a solid code-base built for C++/Win32, then .Net will be FAR easier than using Win32, especially for GUI apps.

I don't know how well .Net will work with VC6. I'd try to get myself an updated copy if I were you (or wait until November for .Net 2.0). You can often get perfectly legal copies from schools and other such places. (I got mine (VS.Net Pro) for $50 at my college).

Seconded. If you are free to do whatever, then use .NET. If you have an existing C++ codebase and/or you don't want to upgrade to 2003, then use some C++ windowing toolkit, using .NET in this situation is a pain in the butt. My favorite C++ windowing toolkit is wxWidgets.

On the subject of "an existing C++ codebase", I highly recomend you have your game and editor directly share source code, it makes development much, much eaiser.