Sign in to follow this  
Xest

Need source control help from knowledgeable CVS experts!

Xest    140
I'm using the Torque Game Engine and grabbing their code straight from the CVS into a local directory, what I want to be able to do is have my own CVS on my Win2k3 server using CVS NT which I can then submit my changes to. The problem is the Windows CVS clients I've used seem to only allow one CVS server per local directory. Essentially, what I want to be able to do is: 1) Grab a fresh copy of the Torque source via CVS onto a local directory 2) Modify the source as needed 3) Submit it my personal CVS server on my LAN 4) Be able to grab updates from the Torque CVS server to help merge the updates with my local codebase 5) Go back to step 2, rinse and repeat Ideally I'll then be able to roll back to a local LAN copy of my code if I need to. Is this possible? If so how? What tools do you recommend? and are there any good CVS tutorial resources I've missed? I also have a Linux server I can use, and in fact, come to think of it probably will because it runs cooler than my Win2k3 server box which is a good thing this time of year when I just wanna shut down my 2k3 box to keep the room cooler ;) Any help greatly appreciated! P.S. Hope I got the right forum! ;)

Urxae    182
You can always patch an (open-source) CVS client to use a directory other than "CVS" to store its metadata and use that one for one of the two (doesn't really matter which), or to be able to set (through a commandline-option or otherwise) which name to use as metadata dir.

However if you're somewhat too lazy for that [grin], run a local SubVersion (SVN) server instead of a local CVS server. IIRC, CVS and SVN checkouts can co-exist in the same directory without any problems (And SVN is better than CVS anyway [smile]). Note: you'll probably want to keep the CVS metadata out of the SVN repository.