MUD design

Started by
5 comments, last by hellsbuttmonkey 18 years, 9 months ago
I have a university final project that involves designing a MUD in java using a Tomcat server, and a mySQL database. If possible I would appreciate any kind of advice people could offer!!
Advertisement
I made a mud in Cpp a while back. it wasnt very good but it was functional.

anyway, i found a good way to deal with the networking side of things was to have a mother socket that accepts connections and then opening a new connection for each client.

I had an array of clients. each client was a class CClient. i then derived a CPlayer class from that class to handle information about the character. it was quite good but im sure people have done better. this was my first attempt.

as for everything else, i dont think i am qualified to answer.

but anyway, good luck. hope to hear how it goes :)
-www.freewebs.com/tm1rbrt -> check out my gameboy emulator ( worklog updated regularly )
Is this going to be web-based or use telnet?
Thanks for the input ErUs

smr - web-based.
I haven't looked at it, but there is MUD Game Programming by Ron Penton. I don't think it uses java, but it might give you some ideas.

Also, if the project is more than just implementation Developing Online Games: An Insider's Guide by Jessica Mulligan and Bridgette Patrovsky might be a good reference (though from flipping through it it looked like it was more about big picture issues than implementation).
Do a quick search on Sourceforge, there seems to be a new Java based MUD System started every second week. From there you should be able to have a look at the designs that they are using to assit in your project.
Mykre - BlogVirtual Realm :- XNA News and Resources from Down Under** For those Interested in an Australian XNA User Group Contact me though my site.
again thanks for the suggestions guys!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement