Help Games Programming

Started by
2 comments, last by arwyndavies 18 years, 9 months ago
I'm a 3d artist looking in to programming a 1st person navigation into a 3d environment created using 3ds max. Are there any good books or sites on this topic. If there is any one that could help me that would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing this as a 3rd year university project. I'm hoping to create a 3d interactive virtual tour of my students union and would like to allow the user to navigate theme selves around the environment.
Advertisement
To "shoot from the hip" as they say, it's probably little more than creating the models for your environment and scripting the rest. I have no experience with 3DS Max, but I assume you'd find something in its documentation about scripting.

I hope it goes well.
Depending on how much work you're willing to put into it, you could create a basic 3D engine with OpenGL by following the NeHe tutorials. Moving around a 3D world is in lesson 10.

You could also use lib3ds to load the 3ds files.

I haven't used it, but another alternative might be to convert your files to blender format and use the blender game engine.
I read into the OpenGL tutorials and it mentioned learning visual C++ how much of this scripting do i need to learn before being able to use OpenGL

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement