Great beginer c++ site

Started by
10 comments, last by Daichi 18 years, 9 months ago
www.cplusplus.com is one of the best sites for teaching c++ that i've seen. They have a great tutorial and some source files for anyone that wants more practice. Just thought i'd give a good site for any beginers out there. If anyone knows any other sites please post em.
Advertisement
I learned C++ (and programming in general) through cprogramming.com
I still use it as a reference.

That and scripting the game Star Trek Bridge Commander (Python scripts) has really helped me learn C++.
Although they may seem great most online resources of C++ are out of date and/or of poor quality, don't not teach C++ the wright way to learn it. You should be very careful with what you read.

You cannot learn C++ properly from online sites alone so don't supplement it over a good up to date book that teaches you good practices in C++ from the beginning. Use it as a tutorial extra or something but not on its own you wont go far with it.
Quote:Original post by snk_kid
Although they may seem great most online resources of C++ are out of date and/or of poor quality, don't not teach C++ the wright way to learn it. You should be very careful with what you read.

You cannot learn C++ properly from online sites alone so don't supplement it over a good up to date book that teaches you good practices in C++ from the beginning. Use it as a tutorial extra or something but not on its own you wont go far with it.

What about the latest edition of The C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup (sp)?
And the "Programming languages - C++" book is also very advised. I have the PDF version.

But since we are talking about sites, I've found the C++ FAQ (Lite) also very good.
Quote:Original post by mldaalder
What about the latest edition of The C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup (sp)?

Yeah that is good, its bible material [wink].

Quote:Original post by mldaalder
But since we are talking about sites, I've found the C++ FAQ (Lite) also very good.

Yeah thats a good reference, i was mainly talking about learning the language purely from online materials. Guru of the week is good extra material too.
For reference though, I have found http://www.cppreference.com/ hard to beat [grin]

[Edited by - Boder on July 2, 2005 3:20:42 PM]
Eh. I've always found cplusplus.com to be pretty good if not deep. The tutorial is straightforward, and the references are well organized.

And I personally don't care for cppreference. I'd rather see the function prototypes in the little summary, and the tutorials + example code are not really simple enough for the rank beginner. [imo]

... and I think the knock against online tutorials is slightly off base. It's not as though dead-tree tutorials don't have similar examples of poor practices (LaMothe).
cplusplus.com is good I recently found a better site though http://www.programmershelp.co.uk/c++tutorials.php
Personally, I don't mind learning what an "if" is etc. from those sites. But be very careful about habits. Just pick up the basics, no design stuff.

And then go read this to learn proper usage of the langauge.
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Quote:Original post by DevLiquidKnight
cplusplus.com is good I recently found a better site though http://www.programmershelp.co.uk/c++tutorials.php

Looks very nice. Thanks for that link. In fact, I think most people go to cplusplus.com because it's the first hit if you search for "C++ tutorial" on google.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement