Sign in to follow this  
dxFoo

Few questions on DirectX

As I learn from this managed directx book, I get questions that are too advanced at the moment, but still I would like to know a little about. For instance, once I load the mesh in, how can I control its arms? Do I do that animation by programming, or are there seperate animation files that do all the work? And what does yaw, pitch, and roll really mean? I usually have to define these when drawing the mesh, but I have no idea on what they do, plus the book doesn't go into much detail. I'll leave it to these questions for now. Thanks!

Yaw, pitch and roll:
These are to do with rotation. If you imagine turning your head from side to side, this is yaw. Nodding is pitch and "leaning" your head to the side is roll.

Degra

Quote:
Original post by dxFoo
once I load the mesh in, how can I control its arms? Do I do that animation by programming, or are there seperate animation files that do all the work?

You could do it both ways but the animation files are probably going to be the preferred method for most cases. Mesh or skeletal animation is going to be a very advanced topic so I would probably not worry about that for right now. If you want, you could try to use this animation package: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cal3d/