Sign in to follow this  
THACO

Sound

I am currently designing and creating a simple engine. I am working on sound now. I currently have a sound class, which can play sounds. My one problem I just thought is how do I tell this class to play certain sounds during the game play loop. I will be having a player or character classes deal with where the player is and what the player is doing. This class will probably ulitmately decide if a specific sound should be played. It would be nice if I had an instance of the sound class inside so when i feel it is neccesary to play a sound I can just call sound->playsound(HIT); Should I just send a pointer to the class I created in my basecode to the player function that will take care of the decision making for what animation, movement, and sound? Or should I try something else? I am currently using FMOD for sound. -THACO

You could possibly declare it is a global and make it a singleton. This might make it so at least your not overusing the resources by making it static.

Or simply put it in a pre compiled header file of some sort. That is the routes id choose and in fact currently use. Passing it as an argument constantly seems like it would create a lot of overhead. Also, it tends to get annoying passing it as an argument, especially if you want to change things later.

Ok, I created a singleton, the one question I have, how can I access it in other objects when I init those objects do I then just send them the pointer? In my main source file I have it as global, but does that mean I can use it in the other source files that I include after I declared the log object?

-THACO

Ah, that worked, I tried is as extern in the main source, but I had to do it in the source for the other object. Thanks a lot

-THACO