D3D7 RM in C++

Started by
6 comments, last by jollyjeffers 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I was wondering if there are any tutorials on Direct3D Retained Mode in C++? I realise Retained Mode is rather old, and is no longer used, but I have experience with it in VB6 and understand the concept of it, therefor allowing me to hopefully be able to understand how to use it in C++. If there are no tutorials, are there any kind of resources that could guide me? Perhaps some just soure code, even? I would consider myself a beginner in C++, and only know the basics, but I am pretty sure D3D RM shouldn't be so difficult, which is why I am interested in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
luke88
Advertisement
short answer is no ... If you are coming from VB you might wan't to try vb.net with managed DX. It is really, really easy, last summer I was prototyping a physics engine within days of using managed DX. I personally don't use managed DX because of speed concerns in the end ...

If you are interested in it for simplicity sake it is amazingly easy to work with. IMHO vb.net and C# compile to pretty much the same code in the end so feel free to use vb.net and that way you can feel comfortable with using the basic dialect with managed dx.
-------------Become part of developing the specifications of a new language. Visit CodeBASIC.org
I share somewhat the same sentiments as Codemonger. Like you, many of the veterans on this forum have some experience with D3D RM (unfortunatly, mine was painful - but thankfully, short-lived). However, most, if not all (hopefully all), have moved on to bigger and better things.

Just because you know how to use something and are comfortable with it doesn't mean that you shouldn't move on. In fact, that's what graphics programming is all about: pushing the boundaries of both your hardware and yourself [smile].

So, I suggest that you at least upgrade to the latest SDK version. Also, since you are a beginner in C++, you can try out all of the new C# stuff. It can be a lot easier for those who are learning from the ground up, and it still offers the same functionality. Previously, Managed DX was below par, but the DX team has stepped it up as of late.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
I would move on (to vb.net managed DX, or whatever), but it's all rather confusing. I'd prefer to finish this 'topic' (of D3D RM) before moving on. Not only that, but I don't even know what C# is, and I don't have any SDKs, so moving on would be rather difficult.
I found this: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/3390/retained.html
I think it can help me, but it is a tad sketchy, and I can't get the example source code (http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/3390/hello.html) to compile.

(Sorry for my late reply).
luke88
Wow - I thought retained mode had vanished into the history books, didn't think anyone still actively used it [smile]

Seriously though, RM was last featured in the DX7 SDK (~1999?) but I don't think it had been updated since DX3 or DX5 - I had all these dates written down somewhere, but I can't find them [headshake]

In light of that, it's probably not too surprising that you can't/won't find any documentation or samples.

I did just dig out my copy of the Microsoft DirectX 7.0a SDK CD-ROM and it has all the C++ samples and help files. I'd be happy to send them over, but I think there could be legal issues with re-distributing bits-n-pieces of the SDK [sad]

Although, I'll chime in with what the others are saying - take a jump and go with D3D9. However, they've mentioned MDX/C# - if you're not familiar with those, but have some grounding in C++ you're best off sticking to that. Trying to learn two new things at the same time is asking for confusion!

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

I have googled and found only a couple, but at least there are some still around

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/3390/retained.html
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/3390/dj4.html
http://www.scorpioncity.com/dj4.html

[EDIT]
I just noticed the last two links are the same... So I striked the one that was harder to read...
jollyjeffers, it would be great if you could send me those C++ samples and help files. They would really aid me. *cough* It would probably be illegal, but who's going to know? *cough* :) Thanks a bunch. Some people are so kind ;)

UltimaX, I have seen that first site (which was mentioned in my previous post), but I've never seen that second one. So, thanks ;) I'm sure it'll help me.
luke88
I still recommend that you go with a newer version of the API, there are 100's of reasons - only some of which are mentioned in this thread [grin]

Quote:Original post by luke88
*cough* It would probably be illegal, but who's going to know? *cough*

[lol] well, posting such a thing on a public forum is usually a good way to let people know... [wink]

Quote:Original post by luke88
Some people are so kind

I like to help [smile]. I've posted a request in the private newsgroups to clarify the legal on this. EULA's make my head hurt. Depending on the outcome of that I might be able to get you the files - no guarantees though [smile]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement