Sign in to follow this  

C# and direct3d, artifacts!

This topic is 4547 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have wrote two versions of some code, one on VC++ and one on C#. A problem is, that application in C# have some artifacts (but code is 100% right, because it's same thing wrote in C++ works without troubles). It's seem to be problem with depth buffer... I can see some triangles behind blinks. Also I have heard about FPU preserve precision in C#... So, people, what to do?! that's the question. :)

"I can see some triangles behind blinks."

Eh? I might know what you mean but please give more detail. And make sure your device is clearing the target with a ZDepth of 1.0f, and Stencil at 0.

I have prepared for you two examples, one of them use depth buffer D24S8, and second D16. If you have installed directx 9.0b and .net framework you can see the difference.
In first case there are artifacts that I talk about
but in second, something going wrong!!! the depth buffer not function properly at all! the artifacts has gone, but if you look behind... just see it. I realy don't understand what is going on.
(note: I have radeon 9550, and omega drivers 2.5.90, not an original drivers... but same code in c++ works excellent)

the examples (directly from my pc): 81.218.29.61\test_d24s8.zip,
81.218.29.61\test_d16.zip

I can't check the examples, but are you sure you aren't using zNear and zFar as 0.1/100000 or something like that? (which has been seen done before and will much kill the z-buffer making strange things happen)

Quote:
Original post by Syranide
zNear should never be less than 1.0

False. More correctly: "The ratio of zNear and zFar should be a reasonable value, so that the depth resolution is adequate across the depth buffer range".

If zNear is 0, the depth buffer resolution is divided by infinity, therefore effectively disabling it in practical use.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Nik02
False. More correctly: "The ratio of zNear and zFar should be a reasonable value, so that the depth resolution is adequate across the depth buffer range".

hear hear!

This topic is 4547 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.