• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZomeonE

Vertex buffers+.....

This topic is 6590 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm a little confused about vertex buffers in dx8. I know how they work, but how should they be used in a 3d engine. What is the best way to use vertex/index buffers when writing a 3d engine? How to handle objects & rendering... I guess there is no good tutorial? Edited by - ZomeonE on 11/28/00 2:34:39 PM

Advertisement
I can''t agree with you more. I''m currently working on porting my old engine from DX7a to DX8 and found similar problem.

According to the nVidia presentation on DX7, one globally shared vertex buffer with the largest FVF format for all dynamic geometry should be created for a device. Whenever a geometry is rendered the engine should stream all the vertices to this VB and call DrawPrimitiveVB family APIs. It also suggested that the VB parameter in DrawPrimitiveVB family should be kept the same across calls as changing it would stall the hardware acceleration. After studying the some of the DX8 example none of the above however seemed true anymore.

I understand DX8 is fairly new and there are still a lot of experiment and research needs to be done before the game development community can work out the optimal way of using it.
For those who were lucky enough to participate into the beta program and if you''ve already found out some insight on using the new VB optimally please share you info with us!

Kinny Wong

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!