Looking for direction

Started by
4 comments, last by Gink 18 years, 9 months ago
I work in the IT field as a network admin and so most of my programming revolves around scripting languages like vbscript and &#106avascript. I did go to college though and had many courses on Java and VB .Net. Before becoming a network admin I did small database programs for a company, using VB .net and SQL 2000 for the database. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the basics of programming and can follow the logic of programs written in most languages. I have always had an interest in game development as a hobby but have never really taken any steps forward. Some reason now I have gotten motivated and I am wondering what you think would be the best way to start off into game development? I have Visual Studio 2003 installed on my computer, I think I just need some direction on the best way to approach the entire deal. I thought Tic Tac Toes would be a good game to write in C++, I think I could handle the logic behind it. Just need like a primer on directx(?) or somthing... Anyways, glad I found the place and expect to see me around! Thanks all, Grey
Advertisement
Have a look at the FAQ's and sticky posts here and in the other groups, from there you will be able to find a lot of resources that can help.

Also I remember when I was starting up (I am in the Same boat, System/Network.Database Administration), someone pointed me in the direction of Sourceforge and some other open source systems. I was told to have a look for a project that is active and interests you, look at the source code read and understand, then try an help with it. For example look at some of the bugs posted for the project and try and fix it. For me this assisted in getting my knowledge up and helped me to move forward.
Mykre - BlogVirtual Realm :- XNA News and Resources from Down Under** For those Interested in an Australian XNA User Group Contact me though my site.
Assuming you're comfortable with C++, you wanna look into a graphics API. Now I don't know at what "level" you are with C++, but do not try to learn how to do graphics before you're comfortable with pointers.

Anyway the main graphics API's are DirectX and OpenGL. I don't know much about DirectX or where to find some good starting material, but in the case of OpenGL you generally start with the Red Book (legal download).
"It's better to regret something you've done than to regret something you haven't done."
If you want to do games with graphics SDL is somewhat easier to get started with than directx - it is also cross-platform meaning games work on windows, linux, mac, and more - often with few or no changes.

good luck with the game dev, you've got a long road ahead of you
hi...

How do I make Games? A path to game development
-fuchiefck----------------------------------------------------------"Inside the world that you as a programmer or developer create, you are God" - Zerbst & Duvel
If you have a good understanding of C++,STL,etc then read this book. It's an introduction to game programming using DX and Windows

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement