[web] Adding a usercontrol to a website

Started by
3 comments, last by markr 18 years, 9 months ago
Ok, 've been doing some thinking... If i have a user control (created in Vb6), how would i host it onto a website? In the source, it just has

<HTML><BODY><OBJECT classid="clsid:BAB8DF37-5FF3-4A7E-9397-E479623AF6FC">
</OBJECT></BODY></HTML>

Hmmm. My only other options are using an ActiveX dll, An ActiveX exe or a normal exe. What would be the best way to upload one of these onto a website/How would i do it? From, Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Advertisement
Can anyone help?

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Nobody is going to want to download your ActiveX control. Most web browsers (that support ActiveX at all!) will be configured not to download unsigned code. Some will be configured not even to download signed code - in fact, downloading no code at all.

Plus also, there is the issue of the fact that, because it's written in VB, it will require the VB runtime libraries (of the appropriate version) on the client machine.

By all means read the documentation on how to specify ActiveX controls to be downloaded - but I think it's highly unlikely that anybody will download it (unless it's corporate policy or something).

Mark
I'm just trying to build a website bot, which seems to be neigh on impossible atm.

One thing - How do they encode the program in that number? Is it some sort of url?

From,
Nice coder

No, the program is not encoded in the class ID.

All the Class ID is, is a unique ID pointing into the Windows registry. The class has to be registered (with regsvr32 or something). This puts information into the registry telling OLE where to find the class's executable (exe or DLL usually).

It won't work unless the files are already physically present on the machine and registered, unless you also provide a codebase property (or something) to tell it where to find the files on the web - this is a URL. But it won't install automatically - it will ask the user, or do nothing depending on security settings.

Mark

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement