Overriding new and delete.

Started by
4 comments, last by snk_kid 18 years, 9 months ago
Greets, Would someone happen to know how to override global operators new and delete without getting an "already defined" linker error? At the moment, I have this: Main.cpp

#include <windows.h>
#include <crtdbg.h>

void* operator new(size_t size)
{
	MessageBox(NULL, "My New!", NULL, 0);
	return malloc(size);
}

void operator delete(void* p)
{
	MessageBox(NULL, "My Delete!", NULL, 0);
	free(p);
}

int APIENTRY WinMain(HINSTANCE hInst, HINSTANCE hPrevInst, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nShowCmd)
{
	int* temp = new int;

delete temp;

return 0;
}

Thanks! EDIT: I'm using VC++.NET 2003
Advertisement
that code compiles for me, what are the linker errors
try taking out that crtdbg.h also
...How strange, starting a new project with the example works just as you said it did. I guess I'll just have to find where my project is screwing up then.

Cheers
Because your versions of new and delete were declared in the global namespace they have a greater chance of causing link conflicts with the runtime libs. In your case it the signatures of both new and delete match the implementations of new and delete in the runtime.

When you changed project types chances are different libs were included that did not contain new and delete with the same signatures. In some cases this is quite common between debug and release (and multithreaded vs. single thread) libs. The reason is that depending on which windows headers get included 'new' and 'delete' might actually be changed via #define. This becomes less obvious and even harder to track down. Since you are using VS right click on 'new(...)' and select the option to go to it's definition. You might find that it's actually a #define.

Depending on who you talk to you'll get recommendations for using the following approaches:

1. declare your new/delete operators in a namespace. Include 'using namespace' any time you want them used.

2. declare your new/delete operators in a class (i.e. 'Object') and have all classes requiring the custom memory handlers inherit from it.

3. Use a seemingly unique argument signature for new/delete to avoid conflicts and use #define for specific/seemless use. MFC apps do this with the DEBUG_NEW macro.

Each of those suggestions work great for different situations and I don't consider any of them to be the absolute right (or wrong) way.
ratings++
Quote:Original post by Wavarian
void* operator new(size_t size){	MessageBox(NULL, "My New!", NULL, 0);	return malloc(size);}void operator delete(void* p){	MessageBox(NULL, "My Delete!", NULL, 0);	free(p);}

This doesn't look like overloadding, it looks like your trying to redefine, also it looks like your trying redefine the nothrow versions of global operators new/delete in which case your definitions are wrong plus operator delete should never throw exceptions so it should have a no throw exception specification. You need to include header new, with all that in mind:

#include <cstddef>  // size_t#include <cstdlib>  // malloc#include <new>      // new/deletevoid* operator new(std::size_t size) throw() {    return std::malloc(size);}void operator delete(void* p)  throw() {   std::free(p);}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement