Sign in to follow this  

Deciding what compiler to get

This topic is 4547 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need some help. Which C++ compiler is the best for under $100. Game Institute recommends Visual C.Net for under $100, but it got so many bad reviews on amazon its not even funny. If anyone has any better options I'm all ears.

Code::Blocks is still in its beta stage (final stage I believe), but its nice. Its free

You can find Mircrosoft Visual C++ 6.0 on ebay for about 50 bucks (just download the 2k3 compiler and use that the 6 IDE.)

From what I hear, you can download the aforementioned compiler with the .NET and its better. Also, I've heard that you should defragment your hard-drive after installation.

There is also Dev-C++ that is free.

I'll also recommend CodeWarrior 6 (I got it on ebay for about < $50.)

Although I still use it, I don't recommend MSVC++ 6.0. I do highly recommend Code::Blocks IDE. You have two options with C::B, you can download the IDE free of a compiler (and then download a compiler like the MS .NET 2k3 compiler) or you can download it with the MingW compiler.

Similiar Post
Compiler Poll

I'd recommend anything using MinGW's g++, since it works across several platforms (does cross-compiling too) and is allegedly quite standards compliant (as C++ compilers go). Being available free (as in beer and freedom) is quite nice too. With regard to IDEs, I tend to use an xterm and nano, but C::B looks quite nice, especially given that it runs on both Windows and Linux.

This topic is 4547 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.