C++ Generating your own EXE?

Started by
15 comments, last by sathenzar 18 years, 9 months ago
Hey everyone, I was just wondering how you would go about compiling/generating your own EXE's. Is this possible? Are there any links you can give me? [EDIT]I mean thorugh C++ code[/EDIT] Thanks in advance. [Edited by - sathenzar on July 1, 2005 1:37:15 AM]
Advertisement
ummm.. you hit 'compile' or 'build' depending on what IDE/compiler you are using as long as you haven't specified the project as a dll or static library....
You will need to know quite a bit of assembly language, along with the PE File format, in order to do this. I suggest you read up about the PE file format on google.
Yes compiling / linking generates an .exe file. C/C++ is not like BASIC, an .exe file is the only way to execute your program.
thank you, any other suggustions are welcome, and yes, Saurman I already know how to compile/generate an EXE thorugh VC++ or another compiler. I'm talking about thorugh actual code you can write in C++. I always admired people that made compilers b/c I can only imagine what goes into them.
Any other help is welcome. Thanks again.

[Edited by - sathenzar on July 4, 2005 6:35:31 PM]
o ok, I see why everyone is confused with my post. Sorry, I meant through code. my fault. I guess I should put more detail in my description then I do for my title. Sorry everyone.
One more question, I've been looking through google and I havn't really been able to find what I'm looking for. DevLiquidKnight, could you send me some links? I really appreciate everyone helping me so far.
yeah your post should have been about writing a lexer/compiler and not how to create an exe using c++ :)
Yes, sorry again.
for a lot of exe-"generation" purposes, just storing prebuilt executables and modifying their resources might be sufficient. however, if that's not enough, wotsit has some documentation on the PE-format. www.wotsit.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement