• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Samsonite

The Rating system...

This topic is 5112 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings! I have some oppinions on several aspects of the rating system: First of, what is i'ts use? I mean:
Quote:
Meaning behind the rating: Your rating is a composite of how people in general feel about you. Each user starts with a rating of 1000. The only exception are moderators and administrators, who start at 1500 and 2000, respectively. As people rate you, your score will fluctuate up and down and will eventually settle around a particular rating which will signify your rank within the community. How does another user affect your score? Generally speaking, a user with a rating higher than yours will have more of an effect on your rating that someone who is either equal or lesser in rating. If you are similar in rating to another user you aren't likely to modify their rating much, but you do show them your opinion for their efforts.
Almost 70% of the user wich has their rating dropped under 1000 doesn't even care! But people:
Quote:
from the rating explenation signify your rank within the community.
Thats militaristic, that statement makes this community into a boot camp, used to train "privates"(read: "beginners"), and if you say something bad to your "drillmaster" your rating drops to a level where people might ignore you just beacuse of your rating. You might have guessed that i'm not content with the rating system at all. I was just rated down to 942(probably 890 after this post)just beacuse i announced my projects website, and that website had the word MMO in it. Whats the point???What will you gain, by rating me and other "bad posters" down to a level wich i get depressed and believe that my gamedev career is over . YES! I might whine now but my emotional life is all based on the fact that i want people to think warmly of me, of course with the intention of constant improvement. So when i realised this morning that my rating had dropped to 942, again beacuse of this thread i thought: "Wow, the hardest part in making a M***** is beacuse nobody lets you try, and learn from that possible failure." And i stand clearly by that statement as long as the rating system exist here at GD.net! On the other side, i think the rating system helps people improve as a human being, if i had insulted you, you would have a good reason, but by rating me down just beacuse i mentioned the word MMORPG(!) is totaly unnecesary. I even wrote this in my thread:
Quote:
from my post We aim for about 10-20 players in the beginning.
Isn't that realistic? What if i say that my familys income is pretty much stable, and we have a server, wich nobody use? What if i told you that my father is a proffesional programmer, wich might help me and my friend with the database system the game might run on? What if i say that i get about 60$ a month to pay for the .com domain beacuse i do several weekly tasks like vacum cleaning(our house is pretty big 225/Sqm w/three floors)? What if i'ts actualy possible for someone to do, or atleast try, to make a MM**** without being rated down to 942 in 10 views? What if parts of the rating system is just there for people to feel better or worse, than others? I mean, some people even post as a "Anonomous poster" beacuse they don't want to be rated down. Why? Beacuse people won't take you seriously/ with respect if you'r rating is under 1000 What if we keep away from the "Rate this member" button next time someone posts a post about their next MM**** project? So that they'll atleast get a chance Thank you for reading my post, i'm sorry if i insulted anyone. Samsonite [Edited by - Samsonite on July 14, 2005 7:52:57 AM]

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Samsonite
YES! I might whine now but my emotional life is all based on the fact that i want people to think warmly of me, of course with the intention of constant improvement.

That made me cry. I rated you up just "to give you a fair chance".
Anyhow. I never rate people down just for being beginners or (maybe) aiming too high. Others might do. I don't know. I don't care much about my rating either.

You can start improving your rating (if you care so much, that is) by providing to the community. Start helping beginners. Ask interesting questions or participate in discussions in a mature, constructive way. Finally, if you have something really good to share - do it. Post demos, screenshots, write an article.

There's only one thing you should stop right now and that is whining about your rating or the rating system itself.

Cheers and don't worry mate,
Pat.

Quote:
From the rating explanation
... As people rate you, your score will fluctuate up and down ...

When you're new to the forums your rating might fluctuate a lot. It's not uncommon that it drops 20 points overnight. Don't let that bring you down, it's just the way the system works. Sooner or later if you behave (as in treating other users with respect) your rating will increase.

If you want some kind of confirmation I can say that as far as I'm concerned about the thread you refer to you behave just fine, and if that thread is the reason why people have rated you down I'd say they might have been a little unjust. But don't worry about it.

Rating is not all that important after all. I've been treated badly by high-rated users as well as having gotten a lot of help from low-rated users.

As for if the rating system is good or bad I'd say that I think the climate and seriousness of the GameDev forums and it's threads and posts are a lot better than on other froums which don't have a rating system or any similar thing.

Stay sharp.

Hmm, I help people almost exclusively almost every time I can. My rating isn't to hot, not that I really care and I been here awhile. Perhaps explain that, id be very intrested to know why.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The rating system DOES NOT show how friendly, helpful etc you are. What is shows is how friendly the people you help are.

I have helped many people on this site, often spending my own time (as I'm sure other people do) finding out information, and then expalining it to someone else.

I would say about 10% of those people 'rated me up', often regardless of how much help I gave them, more to do with how 'rate up' happy they are.

If everyone rated me up according to my help, I would have a much higher rating than I do. I'm not overly bothered about this personally. What then bothers me is that people who have ratings of 1500+ do nothing but post in the lounge. Having a look at their profiles shows they are not helpful, often not friendly, just 'funny' in certain peoples eyes.

I personally think that rating people in the lounge should be removed...

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I personally think that rating people in the lounge should be removed...

So do I, I have seen people be rated down like 20-50 points just for stating there opinion on something in the lounge. Thats why most people I know infact don't even use there real account in the lounge due to that fact alone.

Here, have a rating cookie, you deserve it.
The problem is as you have quite correctly observed that some things will get you an instant rate-dive saying that you're new and want to make a MMORPG is one of those things basicly because the community feels it's a sign of not having read and pondered information already given on the site hard enough.

Raduprv (did I spell that right?) can speak of MMO:s all he wants because he has proven that he's capable of pulling it of and know what he's talking about.

Joe Random that's new will just provke the "oh no not one more" knee-jerk reaction and that's almost hot-wired to the rate-down button.

Best of luck in your endouvers.

Rating down for a newbie making an MMO post is a mis-use of the rating system.
Rating down for a difference of opinion is a mis-use of the rating system.
Rating up for posting jokes is a mis-use of the system.

I bet a large percentage of the ratings fall into one of these categories, thereby making the system completely useless.

IMO it's a meaningless popularity system that hasn't changed anything except encourage more anonymous posting. I think ratings should require the rater to post a reason why. Something as simple as that might greatly reduce the abuse of the system by requiring they at least come up with a legitimate reason. Then the ratee could access these reasons in their profile without names. And other forum go-ers could maybe access each others comments to see whether or not their rating is a result of genuine useful help or because they are the forum jokester or frequencly post contraversial opinions. The whole anonymous rating thing is by design a welcome mat for abuse.

If it's going to stay, at least make it useful, because it isn't now.

Thanks for the post DigitalDelusion!

Now, in my opinion, what makes Game developing fun(and being a underaged developer) is that you can fail & succeed at your own will, so you kind of learn by trial and error. Thats what i think though.

Thanks for the rating cookie

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!