• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Samsonite

The Rating system...

This topic is 5118 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by DrEvil
Rating down for a newbie making an MMO post is a mis-use of the rating system.
Rating down for a difference of opinion is a mis-use of the rating system.
Rating up for posting jokes is a mis-use of the system.

I bet a large percentage of the ratings fall into one of these categories, thereby making the system completely useless.

IMO it's a meaningless popularity system that hasn't changed anything except encourage more anonymous posting. I think ratings should require the rater to post a reason why. Something as simple as that might greatly reduce the abuse of the system by requiring they at least come up with a legitimate reason. Then the ratee could access these reasons in their profile without names. And other forum go-ers could maybe access each others comments to see whether or not their rating is a result of genuine useful help or because they are the forum jokester or frequencly post contraversial opinions. The whole anonymous rating thing is by design a welcome mat for abuse.

If it's going to stay, at least make it useful, because it isn't now.

I agree!

Advertisement
I would suggest a wording system (e.g Commoner, Practiced, Master, Expert, Elite, Guru, Divine Avatar etc.) , careful thought, however shows that this would have problems of its own and would probably not work with the current system as is. An averaging of a per response rating perhaps would work better there. With a numbered system, the current system is sufficient, though not best.

Im thinking that the likelihood of a worded rating user being rated after being helped is less due to the fact that one feels more permanancy in such. One is less likely to do something if it seems the end result would be futile. Justification of behind the scenes movement would not be enough, thusly people would be more strongly moved to rate negatively or friendshiply. Therefore trivializing the point of ratings. If there was a per post rating, one is more likely to rate for multiple reasons:

There is less at stake so to speak, there is less work on you part, you don't have to think and average to gauge the magnitude of the manner of how you will rate. After all, there is no going back so to speak. The contents of a post will be more fresh, you will have all the data required to rate appropriately and, knowledge that this is not the be all end all rate will make one more likely to rate. Such would be a more accurate gauge of the responses you invoke on those who encounter your posts. If they are moved to rate, in either direction, then you have said something to evoke a response. This, averaged out will of neccasity be a reflection of the type invoked.

As to the seeming lack of rating from those helped, one must keep in mind that the majority of those aided are new members who would see the words as assigned or something similar to that on most websites and numbers to be some random statistic. No one wastes time reading directions and FAQs, they just want to get on with it. You usually read those things after you have settled for a bit, which the majority of those seeking help do not. Settle that is.

Generally they will take the help and move on and usually not returning till another problem of a seemingly unsovlable nature occurs. The forums are no more than an advanced bot to them. It is not to do with personal wish to not rate, or any unappreaciation but rather, they simply do not spend enough time in the community to put more significance in the number that is the rating. The significance one places on the rating is proportional to that which they place in their involvement and feeling of belogment within this community.

This is my analysis.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Why do people always post that comic when a post about ratings pops up. Believe it or not, people should be able to discus the features of this site without pointless crap.

I agree with the comment about people writing comments about why they have rated people up or down. Without a comment, a rating cannot be given. This I think could work ina simlar vein to eBay's rating system, which works quite well.

Quote:
Original post by Samsonite
On the other side, i think the rating system helps people improve as a human being, if i had insulted you, you would have a good reason, but by rating me down just beacuse i mentioned the word MMORPG(!) is totaly unnecesary.

Out of curiosity, how do you know this? I haven't heard of people very often explaining why they rate down or up.

Awwww...I know how you feel because I felt sad when my rating went from 1000 to 998 when I was quite new on the forums...but I felt really happy and euphoric when I was rated up. I was happy for 2 or 3 days! *Has a thought* Maybe I have too much emotional attachment to my rating?

I looked at Drew Benton's and Boolean's profiles (2 top rated) and yes they seem to talk mostly about totally random stuff as opposed to helping people. I therefore support no rating in the lounge, and I think Daerax was suggesting ratings per-post (I'm tired) which sounds like a great idea too so you can see where you made your mistakes. Also, if someone had to write a reason for rating down they might realise that it would be unjustifiable and possibly stop...* considers human nature*...probably not actually.

And it seems a pity when people occasionally in the lounge say OMG!! My Rating has dropped or OMG!! Rate me up, and get rating down to 0, making the rating system a bit pointless really.

Anyway, I feel sorry for you and thought the way you censored MM**** amusing so have a rating fat pasty <--- I'm different hehe [smile]

Happy whatever-you-do

Quote:
Original post by DrGUI
I looked at Drew Benton's and Boolean's profiles (2 top rated) and yes they seem to talk mostly about totally random stuff as opposed to helping people.

Did you look at Drew Benton's posting history at all?
- Directs OP to useful thread
- Solves OPs problem
- Provides useful information and a relevant link
- Provides resource and information for solving problem
- Answers OPs question
Those are his 5 most recent replies - far from 'talking mostly about totally random stuff' Drew is incredibly helpful.

Boolean on the other hand tends to be somewhat less helpful around the forums, getting most of his rating from projects such as the Comic and Humour portal, as well as the Forum that goes with them. In addition, he has also created the following sticky threads which can be quite useful:
- Interviews
- Going to post your game idea? Read this first.
- The definitive guide to game writing inspiration
- Going to post your story? Read this first.
Boolean is also currently working on creating a resource site you can read a bit about here. While not the most helpful on the technical forums, the rating is also for friendliness, and Boolean certainly makes some great contributions to the community, and has created/is creating some great resources.

If you really looked through the replies (replies more so than threads btw - it's answering other peoples questions that tends to be important) of the next few people in the top50, you'd find they're for the most part very helpful people.

My own rating comes mostly from helping out in various forums and creating a few useful sticky threads (here and here).

In short, as much as people tend to believe that higher rating come mostly from lounge posting and being in 'the inner circle' or other such nonsense, they do tend to largely reflect helpful contribution to the community.

Aaaaww, that's too bad you feel that way.

I do think many people misuse the rating system sometimes, which is really sad. Because, in a way, I like the idea. I think it helps the whole forum in a positive way. Making most people trying to be nice to their forum companions so as not to be rated down, generally creating a nice atmosphere.

About these MMO*** threads, I've noticed in a very short time that many people just feels fed up with 'em, while other feel they are a bit comical. I guess they've seen too many of these kinds of threads, mostly(?) being newbies with way too high goals for a first time project. But still, we're all beginners sometime. I really think it's ok saying to one, that: "Hey man, you know, I think this goal of yours is way.. waaaay, to much for you to have as your first project.. yada yada, some helpful advice..". But why rate someone down for having just a dream? Rating one person down means they're unfriendly or not helpful at all.

I have hardly seen any real insults or things like that to the opposite of how many other forums are. But I can understand a bit how you feel though. I'm very new to these forums, and I've been greeted open-heartedly. So when I noticed some days ago that a kind forumite actually rated me in a positive way, I became glad :)

My recomendation would be to make it easier to tell how long a member has been around. I have a hard time telling the difference between the date for "member since" and "posted". Also, the frequency info that apears in the control panel page I think would be more useful than the ratings. If it could be taken a step further, I'd say track the post frequency for each of the forums or forum catagories.

I think being able to easilly compare such stats of a random user to those of the staff, mods, or the other celebreties of Gamedev.net would give a newbie an idea of what sort of weight to give that post.

Heck... if the staff is really feeling masochistic, create a celebrety status and asign it under similar principals you might consider someone for a moderator position.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!