Sign in to follow this  
Samsonite

What math skills do i need in order to simulate bump-mapping?

Samsonite    528
Hello! I'm currently 14 years old, with a super-helpful math teacher. So i was wondering what part of mathematics i should take in order to simulate Bumb-mapping or atleast fake bump-mapping. Also, some tips on what i can do in such a young age in order to become a Graphics programmer would be nice too Thanks for the help!

Syranide    375
As for number one, really you don't need to much, you just need to google and follow their instructions on how to create bumpmaps (otherwise there is a lot of matrix calculations and vectors etc if you want to really learn what you do).

Same goes here, most of it is pretty covered on the internet, guides and documentation that lets anyone do pretty much anything. However, basic knowledge of matrices and vectors is a must. But you can get very far with little knowledge.

Google for directx tutorials if you want to start easy.

dx elliot    325
There are different kinds yeah, but the one for bump mapping 3D geometry is worth the effort compared to say, emboss bump mapping. It also requires linear algebra though.

This can depend on if you already have loaded geometry with the normal and tangent vectors already set. If not, then well, you can either search for some function that does it, or learn how it was derived for an arbitrary triangle. That's the only decent site I could find on the derivation of it.

On the shader side, you'll have to understand a 3x3 rotation matrix to rotate your light direction vectors. This matrix is constructed from the tangent, normal, binormal vectors (gasp, what a surprise). The rest is pretty much cake. "Tangent space" and especially "texture space" is very misleading... I'd much rather call it "rotated triangle space."

James Trotter    432
Estimating a Tangent Vector for Bump Mapping explains how to actually calculate the tangent vectors for a mesh. This is probably a little beyond your reach when it comes to maths, (it involves partial differential equations), but you might like to read it.

Tangent Space Calculation provides some actual code for calculating the tangent space vectors for an arbitrary mesh.