Is domino copyrighted ?

Started by
3 comments, last by McMcDonald 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi! Does anybody knows it - is the domino game copyrighted? Can i name my own game "domino game"? Thanks! McMc
----------------------------My sites:www.bytemaniac.com www.mobilegames.cc
Advertisement
Naming is subject to trade mark not the copyright. Go to uspto website and search for "domino".
Domino is old as hell, I think much older than trademarks, so I can't see how it could be trademarked.
As has been said, copyrights don't really apply here, trademarks do.

I'm quite sure that 'domino' with respect to 'tiles consisting of two squares connected at an edge for use in playing games' would not be trademarked as it's too general (whereas something like 'domino' with respect to 'pizza' would be [wink]).

However, there's an easy way to check. For the United States (which is the biggest market, so it doesn't hurt to check here first), go to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office web page. There you can do a trademark search on terms such as 'domino'. I've had a quick look myself and there's heaps of terms there, but they all refer either to other businesses that happen to be called 'Domino', or to specific domino based games (like 'Super Space Dominos Deluxe' or what have you).

I'm a bit hazier on the European Union's system of trademarks, but I think you need to go to OAMI-ONLINE, and have a look through their trademark databases there. I think you need to click on your langauge of choice, then click on 'Databases' (or I guess that's probably 'Databanken' for you [wink]), and then click on CTM-ONLINE to do your searches.

Disclaimer: please note that I'm not an IP lawyer, just a Ph.D. student who belatedly sometimes has to deal with this stuff. Taking legal advice of any kind from some stranger on a forum called 'Trapper Zoid' too seriously is not what I'd call wise! [grin]

Hi!

Thanks for your answers and links!

McMc
----------------------------My sites:www.bytemaniac.com www.mobilegames.cc

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement