creating a simple game engine

Started by
7 comments, last by ondy1985 18 years, 9 months ago
hello, i want to make a game engine, but i don know how (i even dont know the definition of a game engine lol) are there some good articels to get me started for this? i would like to begin with a simple 2D engine-
Advertisement
I've heard this exact question before ... "I want to make a game engine but I don't know what a game engine is". If you don't know what it is, you almost certainly don't know if you want to make it or not...

If you want to make a game, I suggest you start with http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/
If you really are wanting to make something else, could you be a bit more specific?
The simplest way if your unsure exactly what a game engine is is to write a few simple games. You will notice there are chunks of code which are nearly identical across the games - like sound, sprites, input etc. If you factor these individual components out into a separate library you will have the beginnings of a basic game engine.

Trying to write one without having completed a few games or without having a firm grasp of what a game requires is going to be difficult.
Take a look at Enginuity or the Code on the Cob series.
Quote:Original post by Spudder
The simplest way if your unsure exactly what a game engine is is to write a few simple games. You will notice there are chunks of code which are nearly identical across the games - like sound, sprites, input etc. If you factor these individual components out into a separate library you will have the beginnings of a basic game engine.

Trying to write one without having completed a few games or without having a firm grasp of what a game requires is going to be difficult.

That's a good piece of advice. With the word engine being thrown around so much by laymen who don't understand what a game engine is actually for, it's fair for a beginner to presume that you need an engine to make a game. This leads to every aspiring games programmer working on an engine and never actually finishing a game.
Quote:Original post by MrP

That's a good piece of advice. With the word engine being thrown around so much by laymen who don't understand what a game engine is actually for, it's fair for a beginner to presume that you need an engine to make a game. This leads to every aspiring games programmer working on an engine and never actually finishing a game.

So true. I spent ages writing an "engine" for a game once. About 6 months down the line I still didn't have anything on the screen. One day I woke up and said "What are you doing?!" I jacked it all in, then just wrote a game without even really designing it properly, and guess what? I finished it.

ok, but what do you mean by "write a simple game" ? that i have to use an existing game engine (like Gamepy in python) ?
oh, and why can't you just tell me what a game engine is?
thx for your reply(s)
-fenryl
Quote:Original post by Fenryl
ok, but what do you mean by "write a simple game" ? that i have to use an existing game engine (like Gamepy in python) ?
thx for your reply(s)
-fenryl

Just write something like a bouncy ball you have to click on to get points, then work up from there. You don't need to use an existing engine for something like this.

An engine at its simplest is the code which runs a game, but does not define its content. So, code to display sprites, stuff to load and play sounds, manage textures etc. I usually prefer the term "base code" rather than engine. Once you have written a few games, you will have a better idea of what should go into your code base. What you will find is that as you move from one project to the next, you will be dipping back into the code you wrote for your previous game, and reusing a lot of the same code. This is your base code.
Quote:Original post by Fenryl
thx for your reply(s)
-fenryl

http://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+game+engine

EDIT:
Quote:Original post by www.google.com
In computing, a game engine is the core software component of a video game. It typically handles rendering and other necessary technology, but might also handle additional tasks such as game AI, collision detection between game objects, etc. The most common element that a game engine provides is graphics rendering facilities (2D or 3D).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement